Trying to identify my engine.

Osoi

I have a 1969 521, that I assumed to be a J13. After searching for an oil cap it appears the previous owner(s) might have swapped but I can't tell. Is there a database that I check serial numbers against so I know what I'm actually dealing with here? Here's my serial, which by the way, doesn't match the badge on the firewall.

J 763666  (ENGINE OF THE BEAST!!!  :hairy: )

Thanks!

-J

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All J13 engines only have the "J" then the serial number.  All J15s and J16s will say J15 or J16 before the serial number.

It's a J13, just possibly a later one (mid 70s, either a used import or a crate engine).  J engines were built well into the 80s, just not for the US Vehicular market.  Telltale is on the other side of the block (in front and below the manifolds) it would have a big "1300" cast into the block, the J15 and J16 don't have that.

• Like 2

All J13 engines only have the "J" then the serial number.  All J15s and J16s will say J15 or J16 before the serial number.

It's a J13, just possibly a later one (mid 70s, either a used import or a crate engine).  J engines were built well into the 80s, just not for the US Vehicular market.  Telltale is on the other side of the block (in front and below the manifolds) it would have a big "1300" cast into the block, the J15 and J16 don't have that.

Ok, it has the big 1300. But that still makes the serial number a mystery. But any thoughts on to about what year it could be? Like I mentioned, all the caps that SAY they fit a J13, don't seem to match my cylinder head. Did get to post photos yesterday. Will try and do today. Sorry. 

• Like 1

The only thing I see unusual is the color of the valve cover and the oil fill cap.  Otherwise, it's just a plain-jane J13.  If it really is a true late-model J13 then it would have the much more desirable later timing cover with rubber crankshaft seal (vs the wax-impregnated rope seal the 1960s J13 had) but as for finding parts, well, the J13 was last sold in the US is trucks in 1969.  It was sold in forklifts into the 80s, but that's probably a Mexican J13, as they used them into the 70s.  If it's not a "normal" 66-69 J13 oil cap, you won't find the oil cap by looking in an automotive parts book. You're just going to have to take your cap and find something that fits.  It's entirely possible an A-series cap will fit, as both the J and A series used stamped-steel rocker covers and the A-series was used in cars from 1971-1982 in the US.  It's an entirely different engine, but a common part like that MIGHT fit if that's the later metric J-series.

• Like 1