Hooking up Automatic Transmission Wires by the Shifter?

Mike Phillips

When I removed the original automatic transmission I marked the wires coming out of the shifter area of the transmission.

I've since installed a different transmission, same model just out of a known good running truck.

There are 4 wires coming out of the shifter area and 4 wires in the wire harness in the frame rail where they hook up.

Here's the problem/question?

2 wires coming out of the tranny are red & black, female ends

2 wires coming out of the tranny are brown & yellow, mail ends

2 wires coming out of the frame harness are red & black, mail ends

2 wires coming out of the frame harness are brown & yellow with female ends

Does it matter which red and black wires from the tranny hook to on the wiring harness?

Does it matter which brown & yellow wires from the tranny hook to on the harness? I'm guessing it doesn't matter because there's no way to differentiate the wires color coded the same color.

Does that make sense?

DatsunTrannyWires.jpg

What do they do?

:)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes complete sense. The Red/Black wires are for the reverse lights, the Black/White are for the interlock that allows starting only in Neutral and Park. Connect the Red/Black from the tranny to the Red/Black on the harness and connect the Black/White on the tranny to the Black/White on the harness. They are only switches in the tranny so polarity does not matter. This is why two are female and two are male, so you can't mix them up.

This is why two are female and two are male, so you can't mix them up.

Thanks. Makes sense.

I guess the gizmo's inside of the tranny need their own dedicated power and ground?

I'll hook them up tomorrow morning. will re-install the drive-line and then I about done with the underneath except for bolting up the exhaust tube flange to the header flange.

Might be able to try to fire her up this weekend.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Must be the auto tranny interlock that allows starting in neutral and park only. I have never adjusted them but it's on outside the shift lever where it enters the tranny (pass side). There are two bolts that attach it plus the shift rod bolt. Can't help here much but you should be able to loosen and turn the switch to adjust it. I'm sure a little trial and error will get the job done.

There are two bolts that attach it plus the shift rod bolt. Can't help here much but you should be able to loosen and turn the switch to adjust it. I'm sure a little trial and error will get the job done.

That makes sense, I'll make some adjustments when I get time.

Then I'll check to see if I'm getting power to the coil.

Thanks,

Mike