Calculating Engine SAE / Internal hp Z22

ryanthomas1

Okay guys, I am curious about the comparison here.

I have been told the bore of a Z22 is 87.00 mm , going by the old school SAE formula (Bore x # of cylinders / 2.5) I get around 139hp, yet this engine was SAE 85hp rated, so I want to know if it is the formula or was there a change in measuring methods from the 70's to the 80's for SAE.

Also, anyone who has access to an old SUN machine, or an Oscilloscope and a Z22 want to do some measurements for me? I would like to know the Internal horsepower (ihp) which is the average cylinder pressure at the power stroke divided by the average pressure of the other 3 strokes.

Thank you for your time and resources as always guys, this forum is so great for that. :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Early L20Bs were rated at 110 hp but later this was more like 93hp. Same engine just measured differently.

The Z22 is more like 98 hp say roughly 100?

Before '71 engines were measured and rated as gross hp. These often uses exotic fuels and carb settings, and ignitions and settings, headers, no belt driven alternators, PS air con or alternators, no flywheel and no smog controls whatever. The numbers were ridiculously bloated and high. After '71 engines were measures with everything on the engine as it would be when sold and the numbers were universally much lower. From 10% to 25% less. Both measurements were taken from the flywheel

There is no formula for converting from one to the other.

If you got almost 140 hp then our L20Bs would be over 130 hp and while I like the numbers you came up with it's not near what they really are.

http://www.datsuns.com/tech/datsundyno.htm

• Like 1

Internal combustion engines have too many variables and the efficiency is maybe 30%. There is no formula for working out the expected hp except a theoretical perfect model. Some guesses could be made by comparing it to existing similar engines.

• Like 1