L16 Intake Manifold Coolant Question

bilzbobaggins

I replaced the 2 bolt thermostat housing on my L16 with a three bolt from a L20b. The factory hard line from the coolant intake neck to the manifold will no longer work as the plug for the extra hole gets in the way. Is it okay to plumb this using one of the holes on the thermostat housing for the intake water? Is the uncooled water way to hot?

Searched and couldn't find an answer?

thanks

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know wtf you just said but...

Coolant hard line from the lower rad hose must divide into two lines, one to the thermostat housing to provide by-pass coolant flow past the thermostat and one to the intake fitting just below the carb. Water flows out of the thermostat housing and the intake and is returned to the lower rad hose inlet. Every effort should be made to keep this system operating.

The by-pass removes cold stagnant water from preventing the proper opening of the thermostat. The engine can actually be over heating yet the water around the thermostat is still not warmed up yet. Coolant flow past the thermostat gives a better faster opening more closely following the true engine water temperature. In a pinch you can drill a 1/8" hole in the thermostat to allow some flow. (not at all perfect but better than none)

Coolant flow in the intake passages both warms the intake air when it's cold out and also cools it from heat radiated from the hot exhaust in the heat of the summer. A more regulated intake air temperature makes the engine run better.

• Like 1