A15 620 starting trouble

82m

So Im putting an A15 into my 620 ute, replacing the J15. I know the engine was a runner as my Dad and I rebuilt it for my brothers B310 coupe.

I put a race cam in it and did the head gasket, tensioner   etc. But now I cant get it to fire. 

At first it just wound over with nothing. I checked the spark and it was algood. Then checked the fuel and found a blocked line. Now it winds over and backfires out of the carb. 

Any suggestions?

Cheers

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked all the wires and they are right and also re set the dizzy, didnt help. haha pretty sure its just the toilet that goes the other way..

will have to pull off the chain covers and have another look..

I do believe that dust devils also turn the opposite way down there also, at least most the time.

I don't mean to dwell on this, but you must be sure that the wires go on the dist. counter clockwise.

Are the wires dirty and touching anything, is the cap dirty, if it sat a long time, did you check to see if the inside of the cap is wet?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, cheers for the help. I managed to get it started yesterday, an excellent Christmas present to myself haha. I had the distributor 180 out. feel like an idiot haha but at least now I know that the chains all timed up correctly.

But now it starts but wont idle.I can keep it going if I hold the revs up but as soon as I let go it dies almost instantly. Do I have it too advanced? Ive tried turning up the idle screw but that  doesn't help much.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.