Strange Problems at Idle

findmuck

I've read up on Ratsun of people who have a similar problem but mine is a tad bit different. I've had my wagon for about three months in and about one month ago i was driving with low gas going down a hill and then back up while in 4th and the accelerator felt soft and my car turned off. I rolled to the top and tried to start it but it would just crank and try to start. It smelled like gas alot (probably flooded right?). I let it sit for a few minutes then gas it up and crank while still gassing and after alot of pumps it starts. I then drove fine for about two weeks and it happened again on the same street just going the other way (4AM alone and exhausted had to push the wagon up a hill LOL). It did this again once more and then I started having problems at idle. My idle was always a bit high (like 1000) but the idle began to get lower and lower but the car seemed fine. Then it started getting low like (500) and eventually it started getting extremely low and dying. The car runs fine at warm up with choke running but recently when i gas it, once its warm, to get to idle speed it'll die on me. I tried to temporarily compensate by turning the throttle screw a bit up like (1200-1500, rpm rates are guestimates because I don't have a tach) and it seemed to work for a bit and then now it will occasionally idle fine at that high rpm, then go to lower rpms and die off. I did my timing belt 2 weeks ago but i don't think this has anything to do with it. I also did a coolant flush, water pump change. Problem at idle started about a week and-a-half after timing belt, I dont think it has anything to do with it.  It has been bad the few past days and ive been looking for vacuum leaks and strange things but nothing. Sometimes i will tamper with it and think ill fix it, drive home with it running good and then next morning turn it on and its the same problem. I think it must be my distributor, coil or something electrical. Ive used carb cleaner, changed plugs and cleaned up my rotar interior. Maybe my lines are clogged or my fuel pump is giving out but its quite strange how the problem temporarily goes away. I've read it could be multiple components inside the carb, carb needs gasket rebuild (was planning on doing before problem started). The previous plugs were a golden crisp color which means the carb wasn't running too rich or lean right? I'm gonna make of list of a couple things and when you guys respond if you could just say the things its impossible to be and mark them off it would be great thank you! Here are pics of the bay just to see if you guys see anything out of order.

Things it could be in my opinion:

-Clogged lines

-Fuel pump giving out

-Bad Vacuum leak i cant find

-EGR Valve?

-Bad float

-Clogged jet

-Electrical

20141103_153719_zpszvjltrun.jpg

20141103_153724_zpszjkv20xv.jpg

20141103_153745_zpshmlmmy6q.jpg

20141103_153752_zps5al1bbts.jpg

20141103_153811_zpsic9oalxd.jpg

20141103_153811_zpsic9oalxd.jpg

20141103_155553_zpsexrltr7g.jpg

20141103_155602_zps8ltzpgsx.jpg

2014-11-03-16-01-16_zpsseddljka.png

^Are both butterflies suppose to be open when running? (Car is running in pics)

A guy who had a similar problem fixed his by replacing the gaskets on his carb! Sound possible?

My carb does leak some ^.

If you suggest something could you please tell me a way to test if the part is fine ?

Thanks ! Anything is appreciated!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the line was clogged it would be clogged all the time. If you think not enough gas is getting through then how come it runs so well when the choke is on? Choke on is to make the mixture richer for cold running. If you look at it backwards... when running with the choke on it's fine but once warmed up it doesn't always run fine. This would tell me that it's maybe running lean but you can't notice it when the choke is on. A jet may be part blocked.

In this picture the top barrel is the primary and for everything above idle. The bottom one is the secondary for extra full throttle power like going up a hill or passing.

The choke is still on in this picture so if the engine is warmed up something isn't right with it.

The secondary is pulled open by a vacuum signal but normally should be closed. That brass round plate should be shut... very hard to tell from the picture. If it open slightly try to push it closed with a pencil. don't force it.

In this picture spray WD-40 or carb cleaner on all the linkages you can find, especially behind that Yellow/Red stripe wire.

If the secondary was sticking open slightly and it is now closed the engine will probably not idle so you will have to adjust the idle speed and probably the mixture screw. (if it isn't sealed at the factory)

If the line was clogged it would be clogged all the time. If you think not enough gas is getting through then how come it runs so well when the choke is on? Choke on is to make the mixture richer for cold running. If you look at it backwards... when running with the choke on it's fine but once warmed up it doesn't always run fine. This would tell me that it's maybe running lean but you can't notice it when the choke is on. A jet may be part blocked.

In this picture the top barrel is the primary and for everything above idle. The bottom one is the secondary for extra full throttle power like going up a hill or passing.

The choke is still on in this picture so if the engine is warmed up something isn't right with it.

The secondary is pulled open by a vacuum signal but normally should be closed. That brass round plate should be shut... very hard to tell from the picture. If it open slightly try to push it closed with a pencil. don't force it.

In this picture spray WD-40 or carb cleaner on all the linkages you can find, especially behind that Yellow/Red stripe wire.

If the secondary was sticking open slightly and it is now closed the engine will probably not idle so you will have to adjust the idle speed and probably the mixture screw. (if it isn't sealed at the factory)

Your right about the fuel filter thing, i was trying to finish the post before my boss saw and wasn't thinking lol. But the picture was taken during warm up. But if i look at the secondary and it is even slightly open when the car has already warmed up to operating temp and i already touched the throttle for it to idle down this could be causing the rough idle? And what jet might be clogged and would i just have to go ham with the carb cleaner to unclog it?

The secondary should be closed completely

The primary jet might be slightly clogged.

The primary jet was clogged. I tried everything i knew and couldnt get the gunk out. I went to O'reillys and mentioned it to one of the guys at the counter and he showed me how to use carb cleaner, a friend and your hand to create a vacuum and suck it out! smoke came out once the gunk sucked itself up then burnt itself up. I then tampered with a couple screws and got my idle nice. She idles properly at 800-1000  B) Thanks for the suggestions Mike

You probably know this but for anyone else setting the idle mixture....

Before starting best to be sure the valves are correctly set so you have maximum intake vacuum.

No intake manifold air leaks, vacuum hoses cracked, leaking EGR (if equipped) loose carb gaskets or any source of a vacuum leak. PCV valve must be working and not plugged.
Check set the ignition timing. Unplug the vacuum advance just in case the idle speed it set too high*

Engine must be fully warmed up and the choke fully off.

Idle mixture adjust only the idle and has no effect on anything above idle or part throttle mixtures.

Set idle speed screw as low as you can. This eliminates any possibility of vacuum or centrifugal advance* altering the idle speed or quality.
Turn idle mixture in until idle quality drops, then out until idle quality drops.
There will be almost a full turn where there is not much change so pick a spot roughly in the middle.
The idle quality may have improved and the idle speed raised.
If so, turn the idle speed screw back down and repeat the above. This may require doing 6 or more times.
You are looking for the fastest smooth idle with the RPM around 750-850 -ish.
When you can't improve the idle quality any further you are finished.

• Like 1