Z20S engine swap to Z22E orZ24?

Daryl

The title says it all. I am trying to get more speed out of my 81' 510, since it tops out 85hp and the other two engines (z22 and z24) have 100hp, I believe that a swap would be the "ideal" way to go. I want to try and keep the 510 was unmodified as possible.The questions would be:

1. Would i need to do a transmission swap also?

2. Is it as simple as taking one engine out and drop in the other without doing modifications to the mounts?

3. Can i convert either engines from fuel injection to carb?

4. Would wiring it be more or less the same?

5. Do either engines need ECM or ECU?

6. Would I need to swap out the rear differential?

6. Are there any other engines that will drop in?

Any help would be great!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done this.  A Z22S from a truck is almost a bolt-in, just requires drilling a new hole for the dipstick and changing the oil pan and oil pickup tube.  Z24 is a little more involved, needs the above plus as the manifolds are different, though I managed to use the Z20 manifolds on the Z24.  Intake ports don't match, but it still sealed.  Tailpipe was an issue due to the Z24 being taller, and the air cleaner hit the hood.

Transmission will bolt up, but both engines are a little too much for the 63-series manual trans so if you drive hard it'll probably fail earlier than it would with the original.  Nothing else quite fits right, you'll lose the console because 71-series transmissions are longer (except some 720 trans).  Automatic trans not a problem, it's rated for more than the Z24. (mine was an A/T wagon).

The Z24 was a carb engine but you are in California which is a problem as all Z24s were at least an electronic feedback carburetor. Best to get an out of state Z24 carb or a weber. Nothing about this is going to pass smog testing though.

Mounts should work close enough or oval the engine side of the brackets so it slips down slightly or get some other air filter.

Put Z20 pan and pick up on Z24.

The Z24 used a 240mm pressure plate and it might mot clear the 510 4 speed's bell housing. Your Z20 flywheel will fit the Z24. As Doug said maybe a good idea to swap the stronger Z24's 5 speed... it has over drive for better mileage. Also I suspect that the driveshaft from an automatic A10 will fit the Z24 5 speed's length. This would avoid a driveshaft shortening.

If anything your rear gearing is ghastly high 3.364 and a torque monster like the Z24 will do much better than the Z20 with them. If anything lowering the ratio by swapping an earlier 3.545 A10 HL510) diff in or one from an S10 or 710 with 3.70 or 3.889 will dramatically boost performance but not necessarily top speed.