OEM cap and rotor. Just do it.

720inOlyWa

The problem with fetching any machine out of the discard pile, is that to use it again, you have to fix the reason(s) why it became terminal, and then go at least one step further back to correct the reasons that lead to it’s terminal condition in the first place. A lot of times, that means re-doing shoddy previous work. It is like effecting a cure in multi-dimensions. As Ratsun forum members know, you can actually make something ‘better than new’ or ‘as good as new’ if you get the opportunity to really correct those second level ‘wrongs’.

I am sure that it has been posted here a hundred time already, but it bears repeating: make sure that your key electrical components- especially the high tension elements- are OEM. 

The little 720 that I have been fetching back from the grave had the words ‘Made in China’ written on the distributor cap. I made a mental note to get OEM components and continued my rebuild. Yadda, yadda, yadda, and I have 1,000 miles on the rebuild and I am marching along the path towards total vehicle rehabilitation. The wrecking yards in the area have supplied a bounty of needed parts and the truck is running pretty good. 

The Nissan dealer called and reminded me that my cap and rotor have been waiting there for me for a week now. It cost so much for them that I must have blotted them out of my mind! This morning, I installed them on my cold engine, then took a test drive. Holy shit! Night and day!

OEM Cap and rotor. Just do it. I have known that for years now, but just overlooked it. I feel sheepish.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even wrecking yard OEM are often worthwhile. How many times I've said "Ooooh OEM cap with copper contacts!"  (not the shitty aluminum) "Woot! blue NGK wires!!!" Or " Meh... crappy Bosch alt or starter. WAT!!! a fram oil filter???  If I needed a piss I would do so on them from a height"

• Like 1