My Poor little truck blew up today ='[

VanillawaferX

On my way to work today and there was a loud crack. At first I thought something had bounced off the road and hit the underside of my car or something fell off my car and bounced back up. But not even 20 seconds after smoke started lightly trailing from my hood. :crying:  By the time I got pulled over and stopped it was pretty steady. Popped the hood and mainly looked like it was coming from the breather filter. Pure white smoke.  :sick:  Now the new rad I have in there does make em run a little hot. But not above the "recommended lines" on the gauge.(Or so I thought they were) and the oil was checked before I embarked.

So I called some folks and they dropped off a car and waited for the tow truck for me. Just got an update. Tow was 200 bucks to my preferred shop. Insurance covered 160 of it.  :thumbup:   

Now clearly the shop is closed so the keys were put in the night drop box. So I've gotta give them a call tomorrow.

But I'm hopping to get some input on what this could be. My first thought is the head gasket blew or something of the sort. But that loud crack was nerve racking. Also to note there was no fluid dripping from the car either. It sat on the side of the freeway for 15+ minutes and still nothing on the freeway. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blown at least three HGs in my time, never made a sound. Just run like shit or steam tail behind.

Popped the hood and mainly looked like it was coming from the breather filter. Pure white smoke.

Have to assume the owner knows the difference between steam and smoke. Steam evaporates and disappears quickly into the air, smoke thins out but hangs around.

This is some other "car"....or your truck????

Buy a leak down tester or a fitting to screw into the spark plug hole and fill the cylinder (piston at TDC) with about 90lbs of air.

This will tell you weather it's rings, valves or HG....do it yourself.

Note....when filling cylinders with air always make sure engine cannot rotate....IE...socket/bar etc on crankshaft bolt