'68 Camaro Rear Shocks in 510

This might be a commonly discussed topic and I've searched but can't find the exact answer to my question.

Looking to change out my rear shocks and am thinking about going with the '68 camaro shock set up since I'm lowered in the back. I know they will fit according to the numerous threads about it.

My question is, will any shocks designed for the '68 camaro bolt in a 510? I really like the features of the Monroe Max-Air shocks and would like to run these but what I've found is most guys running these have straight axles/leaf springs. I have yet to find anyone running them in a 2/4door 510. But there are sets of these shocks designed for the '68 camaro (Monroe Part #MA711), so it should work right? 

Any input is appreciated. Thinking about picking up a set to try them out this weekend.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

68' Camaro shocks are 68' Camaro shocks. They will be similar in length and mounting style/hardware. No matter if they're air or gas shocks, it should fit in your dime. It's up to you to decide which flavor you want, and for what purpose.

Thanks Micro, that was the answer I was hoping to get.  I just needed another opinion on it to be sure.

And the reason I'm going with camaro shocks is because I'm running 510 shocks right now and I'm bottoming out all the time because of how low my rear is. From what I've read the camaro shocks are shorter than the 510 ones. And the reason for the air shocks? Height adjustability on the fly.

I've rode in Shakotan710's car and he's running a similar setup to this. Comfortability is decent, at least way better than what my car feels like. And before long trips you can just air up the shocks and the ride is a lot smoother, drop it back down when you get to where you want.

This feature is very appealing to me since I go to San Francisco damn near every weekend.

Coilovers would be ideal..but I can't afford it right now. So air shocks are my cheap alternative haha. I'm looking to pick up a set of the Dodge D50 springs for the rear and cutting them to size. I've heard nothing but good things about this set up. 

I have Camaro shocks in my 4dr. Work great.

What springs are you running with those?

I have cut D50 springs in mine. I'm pretty happy with the results... just don't cut too much. Cut a quarter or so out, install, drive. They will settle over time. Nothing worse than it being EXACTLY the height you want, then after a day or so of driving, it's too low.. you can always cut shorter, but not longer.

got them in! installation was pretty easy, only problem I had was the eye at the bottom of the shock was too small because there was a smaller metal eye in the middle of the bushing. just heated up that eye and pushed it out. fit perfect after that.  

BIG difference in comfortability. the car just floats along now. only issue i have to deal with now is getting the d50 shocks, i'm having a lot of body roll to the rear whenever I take off. hopefully that will solve my problem. thanks for the input guys, greatly appreciated.