DOHC Head on a SOHC Block :D

Mattndew76

Posted on a 510 Realm thread:

As the title states. 

After seeing the different things people have done over seas in OZ and even here in North America I cant help but be obsessed with doing this for myself.

Though I am going to start with an A12 block and adapt a DOHC head. I have full on plans to do the same for the L16, L18 and L20. Some might say "whats the use considering we have great DOHC engines already".. I was in that company and mind set. icon_biggrin.gif
To that I say now " I have changed my mind.".. Since having the CNC at my disposal along with the engineering software the initial investment is covered. Its all parts n time now. This will be an enormous exploration for me. I have the basic knowledge of how our engines work but no way am I an engine professional. Which leads to the needed assistance of most of you that have this expertise that I lack. 

I can design, align, and create the items, but lack the exact knowledge to make this run. I will do the best to mix this project in with the coming Datsun billet goodies I have on the horizon, and my 1200 car sitting in my driveway icon_smile.gif

So here is my starting point -OIC's will be on hold for now-

Block: A12

Potential Heads:

K1200RS BMW
Mazda Z5 16V 
KIA Rio 1.5 16V

I picked these heads for the external cam pullies and how they are cog belt drive. The Mazda heads have been adapted to the Datsun-A block before so that would be a good way to start. 

This will be an available item once things are completed and the wrinkles ironed out. All opinions are welcome should it be toward the success of my goals only, but should you be contrary I will call you a racist. icon_wink.gif (not really)

All opinions welcome.

Thanks for reading.
Matt D.

I am gathering all items involved but would like to source the crowd for a Mazda Protege 1.5 ltr DOHC head. This is the one I have decided to try. 

Would anyone in the Oregon, Lower WA, or Upper CA area have any  feelers out that could land a budget 1.5 ltr Protege Head that isn't destroyed for reasonable $$ or even donated to the development of a 1200-A12 Block to DOHC DIY Kit?

Matt D.

541-510-3417

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...