'85 Z-24 Stroker Motor?

TheEddie

Boy, would a 3-Litre Z-24 be fun!  (Shake like hell, but hey...)

This Z-24 in my '85 720 is going to have to come apart, and I'm wondering 'bout screwing it back together with a longer stroke crank/rods/piston combo.

With the 24's already big bore, I'd rather add displacement by increasing the stroke, rather than overboring any larger than the minimum standard overbore.

Has anyone doped out a Jason Grey-style stroker solution for the 2.4L?

This here has to be a doable project:  I'm thinkin' offset-ground main and reduced-diameter crankpin journals on the crankshaft, and standard replacement rods and pistons from something else, while maintaining at a minimum 1.5 rod ratio.

Eddie

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easier and cheaper to run 7 pounds of turbo. The Z series is ideal for this with carb and exhaust on opposite sides allowing an inter cooler. Dual plugs for shorter burn time and hemi head. Displacement remains the same for mileage and power is there only when needed.

Increasing the stroke to 120mm and decreasing the rod length 12mm will give 2984cc motor but the block for sure will need clearanceing to clear the rod. Rod stroke would be 1.275 with stock pistons. Stroke increase would be limited to around 105mm to remain at just over 1.5 rod stroke ratio... assuming you keep the stock pistons. The motor would be 2600cc. I think I know someone who has welded a Z24 crank and off set grind it, and with some other rod/piston combo.

The Z24 is not a performance motor. Graft a KA24E or L20B head on and get more.