Enlighten me on z motors

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If an A87 on the side but had 219 on the front right it's still a closed chamber 219.  If only marked A87 it IS and A87 and can be either open or closed. Closed chamber were not sold on cars here. It would be an import motor which were cheaper to import than to rebuild here back in the '80s. This is how all L16/18 SSS dual SU and intakes got here.

Ok so in your opinion datzenmike how good would you rate this head? Cam? Valves? Chambers? Performance??

Ive decided to build my car for full autoX because im still finding alot of rust and this car is for alberta and does not exist to icbc because its sat for too long uninsured. (Plus i want a goon for a DD. More room for the kids. ) so their for i will be moving ahead and finding a L20 and keep my eyes out for a z22 for future build. So i need to know if this head is still what i want to swap onto a bigger motor. Is the cam still a sss upgrade? Are the valves and chamber still oversized? Over all permormance of the head high enuf to acomplish what im seting out to do? Im not lookin to build a winning car but a fast enuf car to have fun on small tracks and try to beat my own times not everyone else's

It was offered in Japan (probably elsewhere) on the L16SSS, L18SSS motor that also inclded Flattop pistons ( to bring the compression to 9) and dual Hitachi SU carbs on an intake. The 219 cam had more lift and duration and was basically the same cam used in the later L20B engine. I think if you define a good head as having large valves and ports with a closed combustion chamber that can move a lot of air, then the 219 is pretty much it.

I suppose you may have an import L16SSS motor with flattops already, possibly. Just needs more carb(s) This head would work very well on a larger displacement motor.

Actually you aren't. This isn't E-Bay and we aren't having bidding wars and butts hurt. For sale ads must have a price on them so I changed it rather than deleting it. If $25 each is too much change the amount by editing.

• Like 1

Actually you aren't. This isn't E-Bay and we aren't having bidding wars and butts hurt. For sale ads must have a price on them so I changed it rather than deleting it. If $25 each is too much change the amount by editing.

yeah I forgot that rule when I posted it. I'm fine with what you did I just wish you woulda told me. I'll leave it, nothing says I have to take their offer.

What if i rejet quad bike carbs :-D

Still 106 HP. The L16 is small thus small hp. The SSS head with its SSS cam also limit it. You can make more HP by revving higher than 7000 rpm but that needs a longer duration cam.

Or you could switch to 6" rods with custom pistons. It is proven to make more HP than the shorter stock rods. Dyno proven to make .3% more hp than 5.2" rods.

• Like 1