New Torsion Bars

Wylder1324

Need some help sourcing new torsion bars guys.  Mine are worn out and I can't find anybody to re-index the old ones.  There are a few aftermarket makers but they are discontinued and I can't seem to find any new.  I would prefer to go with Nissan new parts.  Any ideas ?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

which truck in your list of vehicles? The 4x4?

EDIT: if you just want to reindex them thats easy. replacing them is about the same amount of work.... 4x4 720 bars are shorter than 2wd trucks all of the 521/620/720 torsion bars are the same length & are interchangeable. however they vary in diameter size (spring rate) depending on the year.

weird..... there is ZERO issue with doing that. mini truckers have been doing it for as long as I can remember *cough cough* the 80's *cough cough* :)

I guess if they are "worn out" there is a chance for failure. How do you know they're worn out? 

What exactly are you doing? raising a sagging frontend or "lifting" the truck.?  

It's not hard to reindex AT ALL if you possess the slightest mechanical ability. a couple of jack stands, floor jack & wrenches.  

Yeah it's the 720 4x4. The shop that's doing some work on it say they will re-index but prefer not to.

I put the lift that 4x4parts.com has on which also comes with the upper control arms etc and the front end keeps sagging. I can do it if I have to but they have it and were doing some other things so it just made sense to have then take care of it. At this point I'd just assume buy new ones. It's kind of surprising that these aren't available still.

The bars might sag slightly over time but there is an adjustment by the maker to allow for this. Just turn them up. Possibly a previous owner lowered the truck so nothing is wrong with them. Even if you replace them they will need to be indexed and adjusted. It straight forward wrench turning, not rocket science.

Top right of every page is the search function. Type "indexing torsion bars" into it and hit search to the right and read about it. Usually it's to lower a vehicle and you run out of adjustment. Indexing re-positions the bar and gives more adjustment. Works both ways.