Fuel problem... exhaust gets LOUD

ok so here lately I have noticed something weird. its kind of a day to day change. one day it goes like hell, but its quiet enough to talk while accelerating.. The next day it is loud as hell but has no power. It happens in any weather, hot or cold, humid or dry. 

My setup is as follows: 

Weber 32/36

Unconfirmed aftermarket cam

tube header

210 head

base timing set at 15* advanced on a new dist. with new points.

Last time i pulled a compression check it was around 160 each cylinder.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do these changes happen after driving a while ?

short trips?

and your certain that its loud out of the tip of the exhaust ?

on a different motor (mazda) , i had something similar but was predictable and it was a crack in the exhaust  mani.  wouls swell and shrink with driving long ways or short trips 

L16 is 12 degrees BTDC. Try that first.

Not much to go on, I would check valve lash and inspect the plugs and wires.

Check that the header is tight because the intake and the header flanges are usually different thicknesses. Nissan used single studs across the bottom with a cone washer and nut to bridge across them. The header flange is likely thinner and not clamping it, or maybe the intake is loose.

It literally changes when it wants to. If it's an exhaust crack, I would think it would be huge to change the power and exhaust note that much. It does have a small exhaust leak at the header flange. One drive, it's quiet, and chirps second no problem. Next drive, it's loud as hell, and it feels like i have 1000 lbs of shit in the back. I only run 93 octane, Plugs are 2 months old.

thrush welded muffler on 2 1/4 exhaust. fucktards at the exhaust shop welded the exhaust straight to the header, so no leaks there lol. i was just under her (giggidy) last night and didnt see any exhaust leaks at all. just checked my timing and its at about 13-14 degrees @ 700rpm. its not detonating. but i can back it off that extra 2* if really necessary

OK. Soon was longer than I thought. But I have confirmed that the advance plate is not sticking. Must be an exhaust issue, unless the carb is playing games. I will say that it has been running very well the pats few days. If and when I find an answer I will post it up.