1974 Only Barrel Style Wiring Harness Connectors Information, Interchange, Etc.

EDIT:  I changed this title from "What Models Used this 1974 Parking Light Harness Connector" since it is difficult to find connectors to repair harnesses - interchange information is badly needed since there is very little information available on the internet.

My specific problem is a front, combination light connector that was cut off my harness in my 1974 620.  The irony of this is that the 620 is a 3-wire circuit but uses a 4-pole connecter.  The 260z is a 3-wire circuit and uses a 3-pole connector.  Someone will have to explain that one to me.  I don't know if all 1974 Datsuns used this style connector.

This is the "Black Round Rubber w/pins" style connector that I believe was only used in 1974.  Earlier tended to use rectangular w/blades and latter used white round plastic w/pins.

That makes this style connector an "oddball" and extra difficult to find, repair, restore, etc. 

The pic is from a 620 combination (parking) light.  Note that it is a 4 pole connector of which only 3 are used.

I believe this connector was used on 260Z's with 4 wires.

What other models used this style (4 pole, black round rubber)?

What other years (e.g., 1973-1/2, early 1975, etc.) used it?

NOTE:  I'm also trying to find what the grommet looked like that is missing in the pics.

_4upDatsun620parkingConnector_zps16b465a

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'74 seems to be one of those years when Nissan was trying to come up with a connector they could live with.... and failed. Maybe a similar year car? If you need to replace it you could use anything as it's out of sight. The inner fender grommet is cone shaped I believe, like later models.

While this is a trivial problem functionally, I get really weird when I'm dealing with "atrocities" done to a car.

While this is nothing like a restoration, I am compelled (obsessive compulsive?) to eliminate all traces of butchering.

I do draw the line of replacing the engine harness (however if I found one for really cheap, I'd do it!) but I will find a used connector from a cannibalized harness.  It may take me years to do it, but I will.

Regarding that grommet, I'm guessing that round rubber connecter snaps or fits snugly in that grommet to actually make a seal?