Frankenstein L18

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't got a chance to check it yet. I have to go pick up a compression gauge so I can.

I'll post what all 4 cylinders are once I pick one up.

you can have good compression in all cylinder but still have a low compression ratio, you know what the difference is right.

I believe so but compression ratio is the amount of volume from bdc (bottom Dead center) compaired to the volume of TDC (top Dead center)

Ex.1

Bdc 100cc

TDC 10cc

100:10 = 10:1 compression ratio

If you compression is usually lower than 8.5:1(for naturally aspirated engines) excessive timing is needed to get optimal power out of the motor.

Many things are needed to calculate the correct CR.

The Swept Cylinder Volume is the bore x Pi R2 X stroke. Basically how much air is moved by the piston from BDC to TDS. Everything above the piston is the combustion chamber and includes the piston dish or a minus amount if a domed piston. Next the piston may not reach the top of the block. This is another bore x Pi R2 X  (the distance from the piston top to the block or deck surface) this volume is added to the combustion chamber. If the piston protrudes slightly above the block this volume must also be calculated and removed from the final combustion chamber volume. Last is the crushed gasket thickness which is between the block and the head. And one more time bore x Pi R2 X (1.2mm is the norm for our motors) This volume is added to the combustion chamber.

The head combustion chamber must be determined by filling with a known amount of water.

Combustion chamber volume + gasket volume + deck height volume (- if above the deck) + piston dish volume (- if a domed piston) = Total combustion chamber volume.

Swept Cylinder volume + Total Combustion Chamber volume

divided by

Total Combustion Chamber volume = Compression Ratio