Correct head gasket

RTB

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right but will it perform a lot better than a matchbox? I just have trouble believing that BRE could run single points in their race cars in the day and push those engines very hard yet a more advanced matchbox cant handle more than 7k?

Crankfire won't perform a lot better than a matchbox. Its main advantage is tuneabilty via laptop. To tune a distributor it may be recurved which needs no computer.

Matchbox will exceed 8500 rpm on a 4-cyl. Datsun guaranteed it to 7000 rpm on a six-cylinder.

Not that I am advocating the use of single point on a high rpm engine or anything, but I thought I should mention that point bounce at high rpm was primary a topic amongst V8 guys. This is due to the points having to open and close twice as much than on your engine. The points needing to come back to a rest with the cam lobs of the distributor so close together is much harder for them to do at high rpm than on a on something with half as many lobes. So guys with 4 cylinder engines, with good points that are set correctly, could really wring the rpm out of them before having any bouncing issues.