narrowed rear help

OK..starting my 620 build. I have the tools, I have the workspace. Got the money, now I need the help. I am building a sr20det swapped, triangulated 3 linked, bagged, with a custom built front suspension. I have ordered all the metal for the new frame. I want to mate the tranny to a ford 9" rear. I need to know what length rear, and all the little details to make this work. Not too concerned with third member specs but will take input. I want to fit some bigger wheels. I'm guessing 18's, maybe 8-9" wide. So should I get a rear that is 40". That opens the door for a wide wheel range. The details i also need are in bolt pattern, spline, pinion offset.... Please refrain from criticism. I want and need the help. No better place than this forum. All help will be recognized.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK..starting my 620 build. I have the tools, I have the workspace. Got the money, now I need the help. I am building a sr20det swapped, triangulated 3 linked, bagged, with a custom built front suspension. I have ordered all the metal for the new frame. I want to mate the tranny to a ford 9" rear. I need to know what length rear, and all the little details to make this work. Not too concerned with third member specs but will take input. I want to fit some bigger wheels. I'm guessing 18's, maybe 8-9" wide. So should I get a rear that is 40". That opens the door for a wide wheel range. The details i also need are in bolt pattern, spline, pinion offset.... Please refrain from criticism. I want and need the help. No better place than this forum. All help will be recognized.

Maybe a Ford truck forum would have that info.

The stock H-90 rear end is good for almost 300 ft. lbs. of torque.

The H-233 from the D-21 Hardbody and WD-21 Pathfinder is even larger than the Ford 9" and there are 4.375 and 4.625 ratios with LSD. has the same rim bolt pattern as the 620.

Thanks for the reply. I have taken this route into consideration. I will also save a few bucks as well. I was opposed to having 6 lug, but I can manage. Now for a few details. I am looking for a pathy rear? What would an ideal gear ratio be having the sr20det as my powerplant. I see some for sale that say disc brakes, non locking, MT...is this what I'm looking for

I got a 4.625 LSD and rear disc brake from a Pathfinder but it was coil and 4 link. Ground all the mounts off and was going to weld leaf spring perches on. I don't think the D-21 Hardbody had rear disc though. Pathfinder and Hardbody have engine tags under the pass side hood hinge on the inner fender that display what differential was installed.

Here's one from a D-21. Look in the lower right corner. HG is the H-233 axle and 46 is 4.625 ratio... a HG43 would be a 4.375 and so on.

720stuff061Small.jpg

It does not list if it has LSD here. For that use a rag and wipe the dirt of the rear side of the third member. If LSD is installed there will be a small orange tag. The LSD is a 4 pinion type.

Pathfinder--D-21conversion039Large.jpg

The D-21 axle would be easier to convert to a 620 than the Pathfinder. I suspect that the Pathfinder rear axles with the disc brakes will fit the Hardbody axle tubes. Research this as early axle splines changed around '95 ish.

D-21 and WD-21 H-233 differentials are just short of 9 3/16" diameter.

OK..when you say the d21 is easier to convert.. I don't understand. I will be doing a triangulated 3 link in the rear of the 620. I just need a rear that will hold up to the sr20det. A LSD, and disc brakes will also be required. I will have to narrow the rear to accommodate the size of rims I want. I assume I can just narrow the pathy rear, get custom axles, weld on my link tabs and be good to go. I am new to all of this, so I really want to make sure I have a solid rear, stopping power, and proper ratio so I can get all the power out of the sr