swapping auto trans to standard trans in a 720

laid720

i know the basics of changing this out transmissions, but i have a few questions hoping someone can help me out. of course i know i wil need to swap brake and clutch peddles, clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch, pressure plate,and throw out bearing.

1. what about the flywheel. will i need to put the flywheel in from the 5-speed motor?

2. what about any electronics. ecm, nuetral safety switch or anything else?

is there anything i might be forgetting or overlooking before i get into this project. trying to do this as a weekend project.

thanks in advance

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Push rod between the peddle and the master. (may be with the peddle assy)

Hard line and flex line between master and slave.

If you have a complete truck there then everything you need is there. If all you have is the 5 speed make sure you have the

Push rod between slave and clutch arm

Clutch arm and dust boot (it may be on the tranny or lost?)

Flywheel (6 bolt mount) this more than anything determined the pressure plate assy you need. For a Z24 it's a 240mm clutch. Measure across the friction face on the flywheel to be sure. 240mm / 9.5" roughly.

flywheel240mmthree2Large.jpg

Auto flex plate mounting bolts are not exactly the same length as the standards so get or use the bolts that held the flywheel from the 5 speed.

Release bearing collar (may be on clutch arm) New clutch kits may include the correct one as they are matched to the PP assy.

Get a new release bearing for the collar.

Get a new pilot bushing and tap into end of the crank.

While there... be sure to pry the small cover plate off the end of the crank. Flywheel will not seat properly if forgotten and left on.

...........      ......WITH...................................................WITHOUT.....................

motorZ24crankauto-1.jpegmotorZ24crankstandard-1.jpeg

On the 5 speed pry the seal out of the very back of the tail and instal a new one. They are only $4-$5 and could save you doing it on the truck later. Grease the seal lips so it doesn't start up dry.

If you can get a shifter bushing kit from Nissan I think less than $10 to get rid or a wobbly loose shifter befor installing it.

Two and a half Qts of GL-4 80w90 transmission oil. NOT GL-5 Must be compatible with copper alloys or 'Yellow Metal Safe'

As ggzilla said ... join the two wires (Brown and Blue/Red?) to the interlock switch that was on the automatic or it won't crank The ignition will think you have your 'automatic' in drive or reverse and won't allow cranking..

Attach the two wires (Yellow/White and Yellow/Red) to the reverse lamp switch on the 5 speed. Polarity does not matter. The reverse switch is on the pass side just to the rear of the clutch arm boot.