Z20 5-speed shift lever

haubstr

I bought a '70 510 with a Z20 and dogleg 5-speed. I'm assuming it is out of a 1979-80 510. My problem is the shift lever in it is the wrong shifter which was bolted in and very loose.

My question is since it is a Z20 setup does this mean that I can put a shift lever from other Z series vehicles like the 720 pickups or 200SX?

Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Z20 will be from an '80-'81 A10 or  HL510 in the States. Any dogleg shifter will fit it and likely any 71B type 4 or 5 speed shifter too. A good picture of it where it mounts to the transmission will help.

It's possible that the proper pin and bushings are missing. You say 'bolted in' as in nut and bolt?

See the pin and E clip at the bottom? Well they are the same as used on all 620 truck, 280z/zx, 810/Maxima/720/200sx... the list is endless. Surely one of those will fit. As I say you may just need bushings in it.

shifterstyles001Large.jpg

Yes, bolted with a nut and bolt, The shifter bushings are also missing.

It looks like the shifter at the top. Mine has been heated and bent to lean a little different.

Thanks for the info 

Haubstr

Try dealer... save gas driving around to P'nPs.

Pin................. #32849-H1010..$ 3

E clip............. #32854-24900...$0.30

Pin bushings... #32855-H1010... $ 3

Cup bushing... #32861-N4200... $ 3 Goes on ball at bottom of shifter.

Confirmed, these parts fit all 620, 280z and zx non turbo, 810/Maxima, S10, S110, early S12, early 720 F4W71B and FS5W71B transmissions.

The 1979-1980 "510" is model HLA10 per the underhood ID plate. All USA versions were H models (2 liter).

It came with 63-series transmissions, which were used on some L-series, A-series, and Z-series engines. They used the simpler shifter pictured above. Most Z-series engines were fitted with the larger 71-series transmissions.