how low does a 510 go with lowering springs?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a set of ST (Suspension Techniques) 510 lowering springs with a rate of 136lbs (vs the stock spring of 76lbs or is it 96lbs?..) on my stock 280zx housings, with Tokico Blue 280zx inserts, with the 280zx rubber insulators/top hats, and the stock 510 lower spring perch .5-1" (I don't remember) above my tires (185/60/14), with a 1" LCA/bump steer spacers.  I got 1.5" ish drop. I'd like to believe it was a 2" drop, but I don't think so.  It was still 2.5" higher than I wanted.  That was up front of course.  I haven't tried the ST lowering springs for the rear yet, but I will as soon as the front housings come back from the powder coater.  Yes, I did have them shortened for the 91-95 front MR2 KYB AGX inserts and T3 coilovers....

Budget wise, You can cut one coil at a time off your stock springs and see where you end up.  The ST spring is within 1mm of the same diameter wire, but it is roughly 5 coils versus the stock 8 coils.  Which measures out to 9.5" on the ST versus the stock 14" tall at rest.

I'd suggest just trying coilovers first, to see what you get.  Then look to shortening the housing for different inserts. 

Try this thread for guidance there:  http://community.ratsun.net/topic/39512-strut-insert-and-rear-shock-guide/

You will find with the stock springs, that even if you cut the lower spring perch loose and adjust the height that way, you will only be able to go as low as your tire permits.  Versus the coilover, which does not interfere with most popular tire wheel combos.  Plus like the others' said, you will bottom out your strut pretty quickly. 

Here are some pics of that front setup with stock rear springs, and 280zx Tokico Blue rear shocks:

051.jpg

036.jpg

046.jpg