prefferred su carbs flat or dome?

I have ended up with two sets of carbs. As titled one of each type. I only need one set and don't know which is the set to keep and reasons for favoring one over the other. I hope this question is not too basic as I have no knowledge of these. My project is slow going but I try to get parts when I find what I think is a good deal. Future plans are for a 2.3 LZ. with a more vintage sss look.

Thanks.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the 38mm ones they are for L16/18 and ones as good as the other AFAIK or an concerned. The flattops do have to be 'de smogged' though. Simple as some JB Weld.

The square mouth 46mm L26 flattops are not to be confused with then. Only once heard anything good about them. Back in the day Nissan mechanics hated working on them. Even the factory couldn't get them to work for long.

ZTherapy 240Z SU Carburetor Spotter's Guide

Flattops.jpg

This is not a carb-It is a boat anchor!
June1972 240Z to all 260Z's (US) Flattop "Hitachi"

Evil things, these square mouthed carbs.
If you have these carbs on your 240Z-trash them and get ZTherapy SU's. You will experience a huge increase of power, mileage, and less breakdowns!
These are commonly referred to as "Hitachi's" or "Flattops". The dome shoulder is square, and the float bowl is on the bottom.
These carbs are not acceptable as cores. Please pay the core charge instead of sending these in.

According to Z therapy, you want the domes.

There are rumors going around that with correct tuning flats can be amazing, but Z therapy says they are trash. They won't even accept them as cores.

http://www.ztherapy.com/technical_stuff/spotterguides/zcar/240spotter.htm

Edit: looks like if they are flats and square port they are trash, other flats may be ok? If you can, call Z therapy and ask them.

Thanks guys. I did speak with a guy at Ztheroply last week and was told that the flats were ok. He has a wagon with a 2.3 and running 46mm. He think that the 38s would maybe be snappier around town but loose some at high rpms. Both sets I have are 38mm l4 set ups. The first set I bought on cl I was told are l18 sss flat tops and the second I got today at the Pamona Swap Meet. Early dome tops.

Round top, they're the non smog version. 

I've also been told (by Bruce and Steve at Z Therapy) that the 46mm aren't really necessary, even on an l20B, I've got 38s on my 2.1 LZ and they work fine. I do have larger nozzles and a "fatter" needle that bump up the fuel quite a bit. 

Again, round top, much prettier 

IMG_6912_zps8181ab2c.jpg

• Like 1

I'd stick with the round top and hold on to the flats for parts or spares. If the high RPM fall off can be tuned out then there isn't really a reason to move to 46s so the 38 rounds would be your ticket. Just make sure they are in good shape and learn about tuning.

I'm personally scared of SUs cause I don't understand tuning them (never taken one apart), but the great thing is they are pretty much set and forget. You hear way less horror stories about falling out of tune with SUs than you do with other sidedrafts.

I'd stick with the round top and hold on to the flats for parts or spares. If the high RPM fall off can be tuned out then there isn't really a reason to move to 46s so the 38 rounds would be your ticket. Just make sure they are in good shape and learn about tuning.

All depends on how the engine is built.

I have 46s on my LZ23 and get excellent mileage, have good A/F ratios, zero hesitation when I throttle it in the lower RPMs... and it's good for 6500+

VG DD

Thanks Kirden, I also have heard good things about the su carbs. I did have a 1970 240z as a kid and the mechanic at the time said the parts needed to keep them synced were not available. I don't hear that anymore.

Thanks Sealick, did you buildyour LZ2.3 from the Jason Grey info? I'd be interested in what head and cam you are using. I am a ways off in time but like to start picking up parts.

Somewhat.....lol

Z22 block bored to 89mm

Z24 (NPR) pistons...shaved the small end of rods

Shadbolt .491/260

Motorsports springs, 180-220 retainers, 180-190 lash pads.

Rebuilt/Ported U67 head

New timing chain assembly...etc.

4.38 gears/5 speed

The K14 has larger intake ports than the 220 

What diameter is the intake port? And what kind of porting on the head. Did you increase size of the intake valves? I have an A87 with some work done. 1.5 intake with a peanut chamber that has been opened up. And the intake valves are increased to a 1.73in. I have been told that this head may not be worth doing anything with so not really sure yet.