Idenify this carb?

Sin720

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually looking at a varijet az an option when I decided to replace the stock carb, from what I found out at the time was the varijer has a much smaller cfm rating than the holley 5200 series and Weber 32/36. Also you'd have to make an adapter since the flange is different.

You can probably find a holley 5200 at the junkyard pretty easy off an older chevy or ford 4 banger, its the sams carb as the weber and you can use weber parts and rebuild kits, not to mention they do perform very well and parts are cheap & easy to find

And they are all worn out by now. The stock 720 carb flows more air than the Weber 32/36 - jet it for performance and its excellent.

That was my original idea but my stock carb was toast and I got a really good deal on a holley 5200 which by the time I got the Weber adapter plate and the right jets and air correctors still costed less than the cost of a rebuild kit and the fuel solenoids... I won the carb off ebay for $20 brand new so couldnt beat that deal :) . By the time everything was paid for I still hadnt even come close to spending $100...

I really would like to get the 38/38 dges or a 36/36 from a Maserati biturbo for it later on but I also have a brand new holley 350 sitting in the garage that would work really well too...

• Like 1

Sorry didnt know the link would break if I uploaded more pics. I will find a dif place to host my pics.

You must have broke the link to the photo, you cannot change anything in your photo album after you have posted a photo, as it breaks the link. 

Well I'm setting up a draw through turbo system on my z24. I was going to do a blow through but for the amount of boost I was gonna run. (8psi) An intercooler wouldnt really do anything for me. And its a pain in the ass to tune a blow thru my only concerns are the initial startup with the draw through system. Having the carb so far away from the intake manifold. Should i be worried about that? I plan on making it as short of length to the inake as possible. But still sitting pretty under my hood  :angel:

And they are all worn out by now. The stock 720 carb flows more air than the Weber 32/36 - jet it for performance and its excellent. Unless it is worn out.

Varajet - the infamous GM emissions carb.

My boss goes to the auctions and hes gonna snag what ever he can find with a weber on it to give it to me. Hes giving me what ever I want to help out with my build. Was just curious about the varajet as an alternative. Right now with the stock my throttle response just seems to suck. I may just rebuild it, currently the idle is all kinds of f'd up. When pressing the throttle and release it almost stalls but then somehow regains its idle and i think pieces are missing off it...... 

The photo is back, links don't get broken if you upload more photos, but if you move them to another place in your album, or change them, like possibly giving the album a name when it did not have one before.

Sorry didnt know the link would break if I uploaded more pics. I will find a dif place to host my pics.

If you're planning on doing a turbo setup, go with blow thru, it's a LOT easier than people think and you'll avoid a lot of problems associated with draw thru setups. The only true advantage of draw thru really is the initial setup is a bit easier, but that's where it stops. Either way, you'll need to upgrade the fuel system to feed the carb enough while under boost so you'll also want an efi pump and a boost sensing fuel pressure regulator.

Also, if going blow thru, using a Holley 350 all you really need to do is modify the power valve circuit by opening up the circuit restrictors up and making a boost referencing power valve that opens only after boost is seen. This takes a little tuning, but the advantages are easier start ups, much better gas milage, smoother aceleration, and keeping the air fuel mix accurate both at cruise and under boost. here's a link on how to set up a holley for blow thru, just gotta do one side for a 2 barrel... http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html

And here's some good reading for you to decide which way to go... mostly blow thru, but you'll see why nobody does draw thru... http://www.theturboforums.com/forums/211-Carburation-Nation

Another excellent source of info for your project would be a book called Maximum Boost by Corky Bell

With all this said, you can also blow thru or draw thru the weber carbs, but info on the web on carb setup is very scarce, it can be done tho and even tho the side drafts work better for this, you can boost the down drafts fairly easy. Another really easy way to turbo thru a carb is to use a Harley CV carb, pretty much all ya gotta do there is jet it proper for no boost and then pressurize the fuel bowl to feed it while under boost, if you can get 2 of these carbs and make an adapter to fit your intake manifold, this would most likely be the easiest way to go.

And for the exhaust manifold, the KA turbo manifold bolts right up to the Z engine but you'll need to match port it.

I'm doing the same to mine using a Holley 350 with the hangar 18 mods, just gotta get a smaller master cylinder booster because of clearance problems, then I'll put it all together, but I got tons of info and links to help you on the way if needed...

Yeah I'm a little intimidated by the blow thru  :rofl:

Mainly because of the carb I know the basic operation and how it works but idk never rebuilt one before lol.

So I dont know what makes a carb better then the next is basically what I'm saying. I've always dealt with fuel injection so this is a bit of a flip for me.

I've built small block 350's before but still never handled the carbs too much.

I will do more research on the blow thru as its what i wanted to do in the first place but draw thru seemed like a cheaper and easier way out for the small amount of boost i was wanting to gain.

I think I'm just gonna forge everything and go balls to the wall. 

Thanks for all the advice I'll be sure to message you if i have any questions.