Seat Belts errr....... I need

Yah I have a roll bar- was a cage but the prior owner cut the front part out. I would have done the same, since its a street the car. Full cages are  great if you are wearing a helmet... but lets face it, none of us wear  a helmet when we drive our cars on the street, so full cages are actually more dangerous since steal tubes and skulls do not mix well. 

At the same time 5/4 points and cars with out a cage do not mix well either.\

Harnesses are great because they hold you in the seat no matter what is going on outside of the car. At the same time that is a problem without a cage since in the car rolles and you have a harness and  no cage your head and neck is forced downward as the car crunches... if you have a cage though the roof..../ your head and neck is supported/saved by the rolln bar.

These cars are such tin cans that i feel much safer with the rollnbar and the harness. The biggest thing I think about is that i have a steal tube right next to my seat.... so god forbid i get t-boned i have some hope of surviving.

but it is also great for auto crossing you never have to hold yourself up on the wheel.

Interesting, what would you recommend for a 521 pick up? I hate the way other people drive and haven't really thought about it until recently I've been commuting major miles lately in my truck, I would love to drive fast and crazy like everyone else 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, what would you recommend for a 521 pick up? I hate the way other people drive and haven't really thought about it until recently I've been commuting major miles lately in my truck, I would love to drive fast and crazy like everyone else 

I'm talking roll bar, its a lot of work to do an internal roll bar inside a small pick up, the ones that go in the bed look kinda funny but maybe I should put one in. What engine is in your 510? I just have the stock L 16, you ever see dudes race with L 16 ? 

Im no expert so not sure what would be best suited for a truck- especially since there is so little room in the cab.

I have an l20b with dual side drafts and a cam. Nothing crazy.

Plenty of people race with an L motor. They usually build them to make more power... but yea people race with them. My l20b 510 was competive at the autocross agains newer cars with more power. I probably had the least horsepower in the whole lot, but also one of the lightest cars. Gutted my 4dr weighs 2100 lbs.

Those look good, we have almost

LookS like the topic has shifted but I thought I'd post pix of my new belts from http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/category/3-Point-Retractable-Seat-Belts.html

867F7145-541A-43BC-B058-70F82200AF38_zps

They went in easy too

D6374484-5DAE-49D6-ACB3-60E42507DF34_zps

Need to tweak the floor mount of the webbing but overall it's a good kit.

Those look good.  I ended up just replacing the straps on the belts and now need to have them sewed.

I bet those seats give you plenty of room, We have almost the same truck except mine is a 521. You keeping the stock L 16? What carb are you using? I've got mine pretty dialed in now, I hope it stays that way

I bet those seats give you plenty of room, We have almost the same truck except mine is a 521. You keeping the stock L 16? What carb are you using? I've got mine pretty dialed in now, I hope it stays that way

Here is his build thread.  It's a good read!

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/57391-my-73-620-project/