Bushings

Anybody know if a full bushing kit is available for a 71 521? Or if not a list of part numbers I can inquire about? Id like to repalce all the bushings but I dont know where to start looking. I called my local nissan dealer and they told me everything needed to be ordered individually and they werent sure they could get everything. They didnt even know what to look up. I need to go to them with a complete break down of each bushing. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one bushing I would not touch unless it is wasted, and that is the lower control arm mount bushings, I personally have not seen a bad one, but I can tell you this, that one is a major PITA to R&R.

I would just buy what you need, the fact is that some of the parts that the bushings connect to could be bad also, and they are easier to find as complete assemblies, such as the upper control arm spindles/assemblies.

Examples

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-Pick-Up-Truck-520-521-620-1965-1977-Spindle-Upper-Arm-Bush-Assy-/221262483918?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A521+Pickup&hash=item33844591ce&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-Pick-Up-520-521-620-1965-1977-Spindle-Lower-Arm-Bush-Assy-RH-LH-Pair-/370859221777?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A521+Pickup&hash=item5658eea311&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-Pick-Up-Truck-520-521-620-1965-1977-Upper-Link-Bushings-for-RH-LH-Pair-/221347420398?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A521+Pickup&hash=item33895598ee&vxp=mtr

There are other things that will make your frontend loose, a bad idler arm is a major one, and the tierods(6 of them), two outer tierod assemblies, and one centerlink.

Here is a right hand side one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ES-2339A-DRAG-LINK-TRW-69-TO-79-NISSAN-PU-RH-OUTER-NORS-/250178474653?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a3fcc929d&vxp=mtr

I could not find a left side or the centerlink.

Thanks for all the replies. And all the legwork Wayno. I guess i just assumed that it would be smart to replace all the 40 year old rubber while the truck was stripped down. I havent really looked over everything with a magnifying glass. Maybe theyll be ok for awhile. I kind of get obsessed with details. Ill take a closer look this weekend and see exactly what needs to be done. Im wouldnt even be considered a shadetree mechanic and am just relying on you guys and friends to help me thru this. Im really anxious to learn and get this thing back on the road tho. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for all the replies. And all the legwork Wayno. I guess i just assumed that it would be smart to replace all the 40 year old rubber while the truck was stripped down. I havent really looked over everything with a magnifying glass. Maybe theyll be ok for awhile. I kind of get obsessed with details. Ill take a closer look this weekend and see exactly what needs to be done. Im wouldnt even be considered a shadetree mechanic and am just relying on you guys and friends to help me thru this. Im really anxious to learn and get this thing back on the road tho. Thanks again everyone.

I wasn't saying to buy them, they were to show you what they are, most of the spindles are metal to metal type joints with dust covers.

The lower control arm bushing is a drill the rubber out, then take a hack saw blade and saw away for an hour or more to release the pressure around the hole to remove the bushing sleeve, then you have to figure out how to force the new bushing in.

Mike Klotz did a set once, and like the great guy he is, he wrote a thread about it, or put the whole R&R in one of his threads, I just don't know where it is.