Water temp gauge

Gregtastic

So my I decided to upgrade my gauges in my car and the first one I decided to buy was a water temp gauge.. so my question is what size fitting do I need to buy to fit the prob into my thermostat housing ? the one that came with the gauge was a NPT 3/8 and I am assuming that the threads on the car are not NPT. the car is a 1972 510 L18. thanks in advance! 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think it is a normal pipe fitting anyway.  It might not even a British thread standard.  The stock L-18 temp fitting has a sensor, with a shoulder on it, and a nut that goes over the sensor, that threads into the thermostat housing bottom, and seals that way. 

There might be a possibility the stock Datsun temp sender could work with an aftermarket gauge.  The temp sender is just a temperature sensitive resistor, that has a high resistance when cold, and a lower resistance when hot.

A stock Datsun temp sender should be around 40 ohms, at 80 Degrees C, or 176 Degrees F.