Rear Cam bearing of L6 head.

Joeoski

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the head for warp. When milling it, the cam bearing surface must be ground down too. This should bring them into better alignment. I think that scored one will be fine but if you have another one you could swap it. Check that it spins freely before adding the rockers.

• 2 weeks later...

You can check the bore alignment just as you would for main bearings using a strait edge and round feeler guage (wire type) be aware of shops that say they can mill your head it is better to starighten it if possible. Milling a warped head causes your combustion chamber volume to vary across the head and can further the warping. The book how to modify your nissan and datsun OHC engine explaines how to sraighten the head on page 54

As Mike said but you might get away with it if oil up and loosely put the tower back on.

Last time this happen to me my head was Warped as mike said. It was so bad the machines milled the top and the bottom of the head.

it is generally a bad idea to leave parts loose in an engine, you can replace the bearing and have it allign honed or polish the originalbearing with 1000 grit paper then 2000 grit and clean the debris out that caused the problem in the first place if on a budget

You can check the bore alignment just as you would for main bearings using a strait edge and round feeler guage (wire type) be aware of shops that say they can mill your head it is better to starighten it if possible. Milling a warped head causes your combustion chamber volume to vary across the head and can further the warping. The book how to modify your nissan and datsun OHC engine explaines how to sraighten the head on page 54

Page 54 is about pistons. I didn't find anything on straightening a warped head on any page.

The increase in compression from a few thou shave is minimal on a street car.

I'll check the page # again lol it may be 154 there are strange greasy marks all over the pages for some reason. I realize that slight compression difference across the cylinders will be acceptable, I just have crippling attention to detail.     

Ha ha ...say no more.

it is in the head section just after the topic of welding the head for repair or compression gain

I'll check when I get home. It may have an older/newer edition.