Datsun 521 Toe in!

RocketPanda

I have a 69 521. I took it to a shop for random mechanical fixes and he said my tie rod was slightly bent. So he said he took it off, heated it up and bent it into shape. The truck ran nice and smooth down the road. Later the same night, I tried to drive it again and it was wabbling and hard to move. The next day after I parked it, I noticed the front right wheel was toed in as the front left wheel was completely straight. I checked the tie rod and its nice and straight as he fixed it. Now I'm just slightly stuck on what can cause it to toe in on one wheel. is a alighnment needed? Just unsure.

Thanks

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To remove either of the tie rods two ball joints have to be undone. Maybe something was forgotten? The tie rods are not adjustable for setting toe. IIRC the cross shaft (the linkage right in front of the oil pan)has left and right hand threads on the ends. Loosen the lock nuts on each side and turn one way and the toe goes outward, turn the other and it toes in. Maybe the lock nuts were not tightened and it adjusted in while driving? (unlikely I know)  but something is wrong. Better check for something loose before driving.