Z24 720 5-Speed Swap - Where Am I Gonna Piss Myself Off?

SoundByte

Maybe my google-fu is lacking, but I can't seem to find any real discussion or a guide to swapping a manual trans into an automatic 720. Any tips or links to existing guides/threads would be greatly appreciated.

My truck is an '84 king cab 2WD auto (Z24). I've located a long 5-speed out of an '86, which I'm pretty sure (but not certain) will work for me. 

Other than that, I'm expecting to need:

-Clutch master

-Clutch slave

-Clutch disk / pressure plate

-Flywheel

-Clutch/brake pedals

-Shifter + 5-speed shifter surround

-Clutch hydraulic line(s) (?)

My question is... Am I missing anything? Are there any landmines that I should prepare for doing this swap? If there isn't an illustrated guide, maybe I should take pictures during the job and make one.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully this is a 2wd transmission. The 4x4 transmission is geared differently but most important it has no speedometer drive in it.

The automatic speedometer cable should work in the standard.

The hole should be in the same place but may have a different cover plate?

You will need to join the Brown and the Blue/Red wires from the automatic transmission interlock together or the starter won't work.

You will need to splice the Yellow/White and the YelowRed wires (also located on the automatic trans interlock switch) to the reverse light switch on the 5 speed for your reverse lights. The reverse light switch is located about half way up the pass side of the transmission about 8-9" to the rear of the clutch arm and dust boot.

Clutch and brake pedals including the pushrod between the clutch pedal and the clutch master cylinder.

Clutch master cylinder.

A hydraulic hard line and flex line to join master to slave.

Clutch slave cylinder and a push rod connecting slave to clutch arm.

Clutch arm with retaining spring clip, dust boot, release bearing collar*. Shifter, dust boot, shift knob. May be on the transmission but if not you will need these.

Flywheel...  (225mm 2wd or 240mm 4x4 pressure plate size) either will work as I assume you are buying a new clutch assy. Both flywheels will look the same and it's only the bolt pattern for the pressure plate that is different on them. Sometimes it comes down to whats available. Which ever one you get the clutch assy will have to match IT.

Pressure plate and clutch disc assy. (see above flywheel)

Release bearing collar *. It MUST be matched to whichever clutch size you buy. (see above Pressure plate) Some clutches come with a new matched collar size in the kit

Release bearing... Pressed onto the release collar. High wear item, so always renew never reuse. 

Pilot bushing. Goes into the end of the crankshaft and supports the nose of the transmission. Only $5 and as yours was an automatic, you won't have one. Just tap in with a block of wood.

There is an engine plate sandwiched between transmission and engine block. Your automatic plate will be two piece and will work on a standard transmission.

A little over 2 liters of GL-4 transmission oil. NOT GL-5. Must be 'yellow metal safe' or 'compatible with copper or brass'.

DOT 3 hydraulic brake fluid. A liter is more than enough.

Rear transmission oil seal.... Only $3 and worth replacing while transmission is out rather than having it leak later and do in the truck. Just pry out the old one and tap in the new.

• Like 2

Datzenmike, you are my god.

DhESnnq.gif

Seriously though, I was really hoping you'd chime in... The guy that has a trans to sell me told me it came out a 2WD truck, and since (as far as I know) they only put the Z24 in the 720 in '86, I'm assuming it's the correct trans. I rehosted the picture he posted:

iGojROx.jpg

He's also offered to give me the clutch disk, pressure plate, and flywheel for another $20. I'm assuming that since these are all parts that were previously mounted together, I'll be able to get the clutch arm, pilot bushing, release bearing/collar from him. If not, I'll just crawl around under some scrapyard trucks until I find what I need. I wasn't sure if I'd need the manual flywheel, but I figured that as long as I can get the one that was mated with the trans I'm getting, I might as well use it.

Selrahc360, I'll happily take you up on that offer. I dunno if you recall, but my truck is wearing some of your truck's blue body panels. My friend and I drove out to you last summer right after I got my 720. Your generosity strikes again...

Thanks!

Looks like a Z series transmission. The 720 also had a diesel engine option. The diesel starter is on the driver's side so no worries there with the one you posted.. Yes! $20! for sure get the flywheel and have it surfaced. In fact get everything you can off of it.

Buy the pilot bushing new. They are $3 and the old one impossible to remove.

Buy the release bearing new also. $15-$25 and get a good one as they are hard to replace and cheaper in the long run. But do get the release bearing collar that holds it.

• Like 1

So I'm ordering parts online and trying to match terminology without pictures. 

Found the release bearing, and bought the kit with the hub (collar, I'm assuming).

I found a clutch fork (arm?), but no fresh dust boot. 

Also an output shaft seal (rear oil seal?). 

I was about to order the clutch master and slave cylinders new because they're so cheap, but I might as well put selrahc's parts to good use. Thanks again for all the help, I'm new to swapping transmissions...

Well, unless I need a different driveshaft, I've got everything I need for the swap (other than clutch arm / shifter dust boots and a shift knob). I'll tear into it asap and get pictures for the internet. I figure as long as I can't find an illustrated thread about the swap, I might as well make one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am back from vacation. Over the next week or two I can get the part boxed up. You need the pedal assembly correct do you need the frame support for the tranny.

Best,

Charles

Thanks Charles, but I ordered brand new components online because of how cheaply I sourced them. Figured I wouldn't mind paying for the peace of mind. Same thing ended up happening with the clutch when I decided that I couldn't trust the used one I got.

Anyway, after not a little bit of swearing and pulled muscles, we got the automatic out and on the ground, only to discover that it's about an inch shorter than the auto. I'll need to buy a driveshaft out of a 2WD 5-spd king cab/standard bed 720 before I can finish this swap. Anybody reading this should feel free to PM me, as I've just been able to make funds available for the part. 

Other than that, feeling good about the swap. Once the snow clears out, I'll be able to make it out to my friend's place and hopefully finish the job in an afternoon's concerted effort. Thanks for all the advice, without which I would most certainly be way more fucked.