69 vs 70+ Alt wiring (510)

Tristin

Im looking to switch out and upgrade the alternator in my 69 to stop the lights from flashing and give everything a little more power. Looking around at all my options and one of the happens to be picking one up through Rockauto for $30. If I get whats listed for the 69, then its only a 35amp. If I get whats listed for a 70 then I have numerous larger options (including a 65amp Im interested in). Are there any differences in wiring between the years for these things? Just curious why 69 wouldnt be included in the compatibility list for the larger alts. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

does your volt reg PLUG the same as say a 71(use a the T plug in also on back of alt). the rectangle square type volt reg?

I dont know when the exact transistion was on the 69 510 from the 68 when they made the standart set up. I seen 68s with differnt alt volt reg set ups.

On 521s pre 70 was a whole lot of assortments on these things.

If so then I assume you can just do the jumpers at the volt reg end of the engine harness(jumpers) then find another L16 alt mount and get it machined out to the larger bolt size. as the later alt use a 3/8 size bolt.

all L16s use the smaller bolts that go thru the ears(alternator)

If so then I assume you can just do the jumpers at the volt reg end of the engine harness(jumpers) then find another L16 alt mount and get it machined out to the larger bolt size. as the later alt use a 3/8 size bolt.

all L16s use the smaller bolts that go thru the ears(alternator)

Im actually running an L20 right now. I just wanted to see if the wiring plugs were the same between the years.