ELECTRONIC DIZZY ???

Rasp933

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes..... yes you can. Although it is an extremely rare event. I would do some checks first.

Get a test lamp and check for power on the coil + terminal and the B terminal of the matchbox.

Are the dizzy and coil connections good and firm?

Most important is there a good ground between dizzy and the timing cover or block. Don't assume that just because it's bolted down that it's making good connection. All the power flowing through the coil has to get to ground through the dizzy case. A dedicated ground wire is good insurance and there is isually a ground lug on the dizzy side.

Take cap off and crank motor ... does the rotor turn?

Is there an air gap between stator and reluctor(s)

Is the coil bad.. swap in a spare just to check.

GMHEIconnections.jpg

• Like 1

I don't think it will matter. The picture is for non matchbox type because it's common for the dizzy to be grabbed and the remote igniter forgotten which never happens on the matchbox type. The hook up will be the same for the matchbox type.

My guess is that it isn't the EI dizzy .

Have you had a chance to test for ground at the distributor, or any of this? :

Get a test lamp and check for power on the coil + terminal and the B terminal of the matchbox.

Most important is there a good ground between dizzy and the timing cover or block?

I'm just wondering, where is the ground wire from your battery hooked up to?  And, do you have a secondary ground strap to the engine?

Yes..... yes you can. Although it is an extremely rare event. I would do some checks first.

Are the dizzy and coil connections good and firm?

Most important is there a good ground between dizzy and the timing cover or block. Don't assume that just because it's bolted down that it's making good connection. All the power flowing through the coil has to get to ground through the dizzy case. A dedicated ground wire is good insurance and there is isually a ground lug on the dizzy side.

Is the coil bad.. swap in a spare just to check.

Did you do any of the above to prove that the module is bad?????????????????????????????????????????????

What the hell does some counter monkey know????????? All they know is replace stuff until it's fixed. The module is 10 years older than him and knows way more. As I said they rarely go bad so go through the checks.

With new gm ignitor .still no spark.iam guessing .a bad ignition pickup?

You need to follow Mike's advice and go down his checklist.  His checklist was to help you solve your problem and to save you money from just replacing good parts. 

But if that doesn't work, you can't go wrong with a Subaru!

Whats up ratsun

I got a fried ignitor in my dizzy.

I was wondering if I could use gm ignitor instead n save sum bucks?

I swapped ign coil .caps rotor.wire.still no fire.

A new ignitor is like $175.complete dizzy is $129

So iam going to use gm one $21.

With new gm ignitor .still no spark.iam guessing .a bad ignition pickup?

I have power to the coil .I already took out the ignition pickup coil .it looks bad.

Well I'm sure that when you've replaced everything it might work.