Newbie with a 521

DuaneH

So many years ago I owned a 77 620. This was when there were Mini Truck clubs all over and the mini's were popular. Showed it a few times at the Mini nats and had a good time. Will post pics later.

Fast forward 36 years and my 17 year old son decided he wanted a 521. We found a decent, complete 521 and started listing needs first (not wants yet) So far, the previous owner has found the key (pick it up tonite) bought a 32/36 Weber (craigslist 25.00) started sanding the oxidized body panels, pulled the bed so that we can prep and paint the frame and assorted underpinings on the rear, plus prep the underside of the bed for paint (and the rear of the cab). My son has bought and installed 3" rear blocks, bought the carpet kit, cut out new door panels and kick panels, getting them ready for upolstory, pulled the bench for upolstory. Looks like we will want to replace the two front fenders (a little rust) but the rest looks pretty straight. Motor wise I would like to put a L 20 in with a 5 speed and some 11/2 or 13/4 SU carbs (just cause I had a set) or a set of Webers (cause I had a set) = )

So now forum members some questions and info seeking:

Back in the day a friend did the same swap into a 521 and was straight forward? Any ideas if that is still the case?

Also looks like the hot ticket is front disc brakes?

What about electrics?

I was looking to fab a bolt together cage to provide some safety aspect from other moving objects (make his mom feel better)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun! I also have a 521,that is getting an L20/5 speed transplant. It looks to be fairly straight forward. The big modifications needed being the shortening of the driveline & transmission mount shortening. Sounds like you're well on your way already. Best of luck! One bit of advice for Ratsun postings, make sure to post pics (there's a how-to thread on this,if you need help.). You've been on a little over an hour, when I saw your post,&I'm a little suprised I'm the first to say something. We're all hard-core Datsun junkies on here,it seems like none of us can see enough Datsun pictures ( "oics",as they are often called here) many members will nag you for pictures. Good luck with your project,& have fun here in Ratsun!

• Like 1

Welcome.  Can't wait to see pics.

Back in the day a friend did the same swap into a 521 and was straight forward? Any ideas if that is still the case?

Also looks like the hot ticket is front disc brakes?

What about electrics?

One of the big mistakes when swapping an L20B (L20 is the 6cyl), is forgetting to swap the oil pan over.  You will probably also need the oil pick-up tube with it.  Otherwise, you will have to measure and bend the L20B oil pick-up tube to fit the 521 pan. 

If the drum brakes don't need any $$ put into them, run them first, then consider Disc.

"What about electrics?"   What do you mean??  The electricals in the truck?  Clean the connections and they should be good to go.  Watch out for the possible later L20B internally regulated alternator (depending on year), going into your externally regulated 521.  So, either use the stock 521 alt., or search for "alternator conversion" on here.

Here is that link to posting pics:   http://community.ratsun.net/topic/691-how-to-post-pictures-and-keep-online-photo-albums/

And if you want a lot of eye candy and some build ideas check out mrbigtanker's build thread:  http://community.ratsun.net/topic/40582-mrbigtankers-521/

If you do a search for 521, you will find other build threads with more great info.  Or here is the 521 specific section: http://community.ratsun.net/forum/44-521/

Though, you will find "How to's" and other help in the category specific (electrical, engine, etc) sections too.

• Like 1