Looking to Lower My B210... HELP

NickJames720

So ive looked at a few feeds already and it looks like my options are coilovers or cut springs. I'm curious, however, how similar is the suspension on my 76 B210 as compared to a 510? is it interchangeable or is it completely different? And my car has leaf spring suspension in the rear. Is that normal? nobody seems to mention how to lower the rear so I'm curious as to if its supposed to be coil springs. Please help!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

510 has IRS, B210 does not.

Your third choice is to use adjustable spring seats. Which is least expensive and most flexible choice. Coilovers often are fitted with adjustable seats, but the stock springs can also be made adjustable.

Leaf springs are more common on vintage cars than rear coils. Lowering blocks is the most common method.

510 and B210 front suspension is VERY similar, some parts are different (LCA's from a 510 are different length due to different mounting points on the subframe). Don't use angled blocks in the rear, just regular 2" wide blocks will do. You can flip a leaf if you wish, this will lower it slightly, although I wouldn't flip more then the very bottom leaf. If your looking for an easy bolt on solution for the front find some 280zx struts complete with hubs and brakes, install a coilover sleeve and 2.5"ID springs and reuse the B210 tophats. You will have plenty of height adjustment as well as a nice brake upgrade (note: not all 13" wheels clear these brakes)

A random angled block in the rear may or may not work. What you want is equal driveshaft angles at the transmission and the differential. The bigger the difference the more it will vibrate. Try a drop block but be sure to measure these angles and ABSOLUTELY be sure to correct it if you find any. You have non-servicable U joints so keep your drive shaft happy. Buy or borrow a driveshaft angle gauge. Do this with the car on the gtound and with a driver inside for weight. The transmission to driveshaft angle at the friont must equal the driveshaft to fifferential angle in the back. Shim the block to adjust.

transdriveline.png

Do NOT remove or flip a leaf spring to lower. Think about this for a minute. Flipping a spring removes that springs support from the pack and applies it in a negative direction. The spring will not only be softer but that flipped spring is removing spring rate from the spring pack. Simply removing a spring speaks for itself... the total spring will be softer. Going over a bump or dip in the road at the same speed at regular height.... and lowered 3" by flipping or removing a leaf... softer. You are driving over the same bump on a lowered car and the spring is softer allowing even more suspension travel. Doesn't make much sense does it? If anything a lowered car should run an even stiffer spring to reduce suspension travel to prevent bottoming out.

A random angled block will work(will fit and bolt on), but will introduce an angle which you don't want. The B210 is already aligned for straight blocks. If fitting angle blocks, you should also angle the transmission to match. Why bother.

My Datsun had a flipped leaf. Lowered it about 1-1/2 inch. It worked for lowering but rode terrible, including bounce going down the road it was so stiff..