carb problem on a 1980 720 l20b

Lowandslow

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I installed the carb today and man oh man it idled beautifully!! 800 warmed up and 1600 on cold idle!! I have never seen a carb'd vehicle idle so smoothly. Unfortunately the throttle cable became frayed today so the throttle keeps getting stuck so I don't know how it accelerates and performs but we have idle and that's a lot more than my old carb did.

20131122_220136.jpg

Got it running!! It idles smoothly and the longer cable was pretty easy to re route other than adjusting the springs on the carb because it would not return it back.

One thing that I noticed is that I can not get full throttle. I have at best 1/2 and it hesitates on hard acceleration. Would this be because of the smaller carb? Can the full throttle just be adjusted under the pedal?

Okay I will have to look into it a bit more then, its off of an l18 and its now on an l20b so I thought that'd make a difference. Ill look for some vacuum leaks and see into the jetting. The previous truck ran great so I'm wondering if its just a vacuum leak or vacuum advance not turning on because of a leak