No choke! Truck won't start now temp has lowered

Sphynx88

Just put on a new Weber 32/36 DGEV and I have verified the choke isn't kicking on, as in the butterfly is wide open when cold and no change when I kick the throttle. I have connected the wire but it might just be an adjustment? 

N00b question for sure, but do I really just loosen the screws and turn it clockwise.... or counterclockwise? Should I turn it a quarter turn and the throttle should close the butterfly?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The electric wire is to open it.  If it's been forced/"adjusted" to be always open, it'll stay that way.  They'll also stay open if the linkage isn't connected in some cases.

Can you close them by hand?  That at least tells you if they're jammed or stuck.

For adjusting, yes, you just turn the plastic cover.    The throttle doesn't close the butterfly.  In fact it's supposed to open it.  They reason they "close" is because if the choke has warmed up, and has moved off the "fast idle" cam, the closed throttle prevents the choke from closing once it cools off.  Pushing the throttle moves the linkage so that the choke will move, and contact the fast idle cams again when closed.  But the linkage will open the choke any time the throttle is past a certain point- 1/3, 1/2, something like that.  Sometimes the C clip isn't there anymore, so that linkage falls off, and then the choke stays closed all the time, or until the heater makes it move.

But if this was a new carb, I don't see why the choke would be so maladjusted, or missing parts.  They usually "work" right out of the box, then just need fine tuning.

Power won't fix this although you will need power to the heater WHEN you get it working. The choke plate should easily push closed with your finger.

Was this a new weber or someone else's problem. New, it should work right out of the box.

Brand new carb from redline. 

I have been through their troubleshooting guide and confirmed everything on the truck side is peachy. Warm the truck starts wonderfully. In warm weather the truck started well including right after I put the carb on. I started to notice that when it got cold it had trouble starting and as the weather started turning it would just crank and crank and crank. If I started it up a little later in the day it started easier. I could be crazy but this points to the choke to me. 

Truck is completely cold it looks like this: 

SzCWmXl.jpg?1

I tried kicking the gas pedal 5-6 times and it doesn't move. 

Here is the after pic, but it looks the same.

8QMBqON.jpg?1

So I did bust out the multimeter and when I switched the ignition to on, I got NO power from the 12v  but as King Rat just mentioned, I do need power when I do get it working and probably isn't my immediate issue. 

Other relevent info, timing is set, I've been dialing in the fuel mixture but it runs fairly well now minus backfiring when I floor it and let off. New plugs and new oil. Carb as I said is just a few weeks old.

The choke wire won't have any voltage unless the engine is running.  Not just ignition on. 

Hmm ok, so it comes down to weather or not the butterfly is working properly. If I recall correctly when I hit the gas pedal the pedal should change the butterfly position correct?

This just came to mind. When truck was warm and started to cool off (had sat for 30 minutes or so) it would only start if I had my foot pressing the gas pedal down completely. Otherwise it would just crank. Possible this could be fuel pressure/fuel pump related?

Ok time out! 

I just went out, opened the butterfly all the way with my finger and the truck started immediately. So forget everything I have mentioned to this point. Whatever controls the butterfly opening when I hit the gas pedal before starting is my issue. Why would it not open?

The choke 'butterfly' should close when you pump the gas and it's cold. This causes the motor to suck extra gas in to richen it up in order to start it. This is how a choke works.

The only way that holding it open and it starts is if it was previously flooded from too much or too rich a choke setting.

The choke 'butterfly' should close when you pump the gas and it's cold. This causes the motor to suck extra gas in to richen it up in order to start it. This is how a choke works.

The only way that holding it open and it starts is if it was previously flooded from too much or too rich a choke setting.

Ok that makes sense. It also makes sense that my gas pedal wasn't doing anything... because it was already in that stage. Possible it was flooded but I will check it out tomorrow to see if it made a difference. It may just be an adjustment of the choke, needless to say I really just need to understand how these systems work before I can determine why it's doing something. 

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure I'll be back.