Engine swap for a '69 510 4-door??

CaliforniaDays

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a ton of $$$ 

Then you dont want to swap it with anything but an L20. Every swap out there takes money. Engine, trans, harness, crossmembers, and all the supporting mods. 

Just install an L20 and you should be happy for awhile while you go to school. Then once you get out and get a good paying job do a more involved swap. 

• Like 1

SR20DET will be $2,500 plus from an engine importer. When all said and done an equal amount to get it in and going. You can't seriously be thinking of tripling the hp on a car with 45 year old brake and suspension technology? Hopefully the brakes and suspension have already been up graded?

Mista Grind is so right. Build up a nice L20B or for almost the same amount a hybrid 2.2 or 2.3. EASY to build, maintain and best of all easy to figure out what wrong with it and fix it on the side of the road. Engine fits with no mods.

• Like 2

I take it that's not what you want to hear? Based solely on your post you have to be young and looking forward to collage or just going, so late teens maybe 20-ish? Collage is not the time to be working on an old car so if it's running well leave it alone and it will be reliable transportation, or at least cheap and easy (compared to the crap they make today) to fix. That or an old Toyota Corolla. 

Part time job won't work for this. G/f will take up your time and any money left not used at school. Now if your dad's rich just have someone else do the work.

I don't know if you have ever done a swap before. I'll assume your skills are pretty much none.

You need a safe secure place to do this, preferably an attached garage on your house. Driving 3 miles to a place is bogus.

Metal working tools for fabricating.... welder, grinder, drill press ....

Time about 3-6 months at least.

Money, ready and in advance so you are not held up over some small thing needed..

A sensible plan for costs and parts needed.. including lots of research.

You will need a new

Rad for this motor, probably with electric fans.

Inter cooler, I assume?

Flipped or modified cross member

Custom exhaust that clears the steering box and the full length of the car

Custom motor mounts

Custom transmission cross member and mount

Shortened and balanced drive shaft

An R180 or R200 differential preferably with LSD. Your R-160 isn't going to handle the power.

A high pressure fuel pump.

A Can/Am box to speed up the wiring of the EFI and the ECU into a 45 year old electrical system.

Convert the external regulated charging system over to use the SR20 alternator. It better come with an alt. as I don't think the 510s alternator will be the best for sensitive EFI circuits when the heater/wiper and headlights are on.

Still think a 45 year old brake and suspension can handle a 200+ hp drive train? It's a scary thought.

Anyway there's at least a couple of months of evenings and weekends and (at the very least) $1,500 spent if you do all the work.. and we haven't addressed getting this thing to stop yet.

Turning 18 soon actually, pretty young. Finishing up my last year of highschool before I go to a mechanics tech school, was going to do the swap before then. Already have the new radiator, I have to do some custom fab to get it to fit in, and my rear differential is actually a 4.11 LSD already. Replaced the master cylinder and the lines so they work alright for now. I agree with you guys after having to think about that, before I do a swap for a SR or KA i would have to replace the whole braking system, (280z disk all the way around is popular correct?) so if I did a swap before then Id do the l20b. I just wanted a fuel-injected engine as most of the ones I'd be working on in college would be fuel injected, are l20b's hard to come by as injected? and lastly, would i have to take a transmission that the l20b came with or leave mine in? 

I take it that's not what you want to hear? Based solely on your post you have to be young and looking forward to collage or just going, so late teens maybe 20-ish? Collage is not the time to be working on an old car so if it's running well leave it alone and it will be reliable transportation, or at least cheap and easy (compared to the crap they make today) to fix. That or an old Toyota Corolla. 

Part time job won't work for this. G/f will take up your time and any money left not used at school. Now if your dad's rich just have someone else do the work.

I don't know if you have ever done a swap before. I'll assume your skills are pretty much none.

You need a safe secure place to do this, preferably an attached garage on your house. Driving 3 miles to a place is bogus.

Metal working tools for fabricating.... welder, grinder, drill press ....

Time about 3-6 months at least.

Money, ready and in advance so you are not held up over some small thing needed..

A sensible plan for costs and parts needed.. including lots of research.

You will need a new

Rad for this motor, probably with electric fans.

Inter cooler, I assume?

Flipped or modified cross member

Custom exhaust that clears the steering box and the full length of the car

Custom motor mounts

Custom transmission cross member and mount

Shortened and balanced drive shaft

An R180 or R200 differential preferably with LSD. Your R-160 isn't going to handle the power.

A high pressure fuel pump.

A Can/Am box to speed up the wiring of the EFI and the ECU into a 45 year old electrical system.

Convert the external regulated charging system over to use the SR20 alternator. It better come with an alt. as I don't think the 510s alternator will be the best for sensitive EFI circuits when the heater/wiper and headlights are on.

Still think a 45 year old brake and suspension can handle a 200+ hp drive train? It's a scary thought.

Anyway there's at least a couple of months of evenings and weekends and (at the very least) $1,500 spent if you do all the work.. and we haven't addressed getting this thing to stop yet.

Maybe EFI in Japan but never here. No 510s were 5 speed but the '77-'79 S10 (200sx) came standard with an L20B and a dogleg 5 speed. That's a reverse above first shift pattern. It's most uesful feature is that it fits the 510 without having to shorten the driveshaft, speedo cable in same location and has the same ratios 1 through 4th.