83 720 4x4 Alternator Problems, and a general question

fragginfags

Ok, first things first i installed a 1000watt sony xplod subwoofer with its 350 watt amp, and i think thats the reason my nissan z24(someone tell me what this engine came out of?) alternator crapped out and started boiling my battery Literally!, i went to repco and bought their 35 amp alternator (i know, alot less then 60 but dad made me get the smaller cheaper option -.-) i hooked it all up the 2 pin plug was the same wacked on my multimetre and fired it up, the battery light stayed constantly on and the multimetre read 15 volts at one point, so i literally shit bricks and quickly turned the ignition off and pulled the key out but the engine kept running, so i ripped all the leads off the battery and it still didnt die, i had to drop the clutch in 4th, i then disconnected the cable from the alternator and the vehicle started and stopped fine without any problems, sorry i dont have any photos because im at school at the moment, but....

What engine did the nissan z24 petrol motor come out of?

and will a 35 amp alternator be enough to run my somewhat small amplifier?

how would i fix the engine not turning off with the new alternator?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What year is your 720? Petrol? are you in Australia? Both these things should be in your profile under your avatar so no one has the ask. I don't know if you have a Z24 so look on the top edge of the block just below the head between the #2 and #3 exhaust side spark plugs. It's stamped there.

If you have a Z24 and are in N America they only cam in the 720 truck from October '83 to the end of the run in '86.5. It was also used in the Nissan Vanette and the D21 (Hardbody) from '86.5 through '89. From April '85 on all Z24s were throttle body injection.

The stock alternator for the Z24 was 50, optional 60 amp so putting a 35 amp one on is not advised... take it back. You probably have one of those $30 Chinese made pieces of shit that are 50% bad right out of the box. If spending so little, get one from a wrecking yard right out of an old 720. They are better than the new re-manufactured ones out there.

No, it won't work.  Well, it'd run, until you drain the battery from undercharging, or fry both the batt and the alternator from running in overload all the time.  Save $30 on an alternator to fry a $90 battery, not a good trade off.

350W @ 12V is 29A.    That leaves you 6A to run everything else.  Or 10A if you follow it as 350W @ 14.4V.  Still not enough- the headlights alone draw almost that much.

You may have managed to get a 35A externally-regulated alternator, being cheaper, but if it was listed for an 80s 720 then it PROBABLY is internal.  Still not big enough, even if it WAS OK.  And seeing as it was cheaped out, probably a Malaysian "Rebuilt" alternator, where the rebuild is clean the dirt off, paint the pulley,  and put a sticker on it.