Old Campbell Hausfeld Air Compressor - Small n Slow

I bought this air compressor on eBay, and it looked a shit ton bigger in the pictures than what I actually received. No matter. I plugged it in to see what it could do. The tank is a 10 gallon at best that maxes out at 100psi, and it pumps up rather slowly. It doesn't keep up with my little die grinder at all.

I'm kinda wondering if there's any mods I can do to make it run faster. It has a 5 HP motor on it. I've got one of those speed controllers from harbor freight  http://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html

I'm thinking I could use that.

I've got a side shaft gasoline motor (5.5 HP) I could use as a last resort. eh?

compressor4_zpsb6da9ced.jpg

compressor1_zps36f8589b.jpg

compressor2_zps6ce0d9cb.jpg

compressor3_zpsc87f8a51.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your motor says it is supposed to be spinning at 3450 rpms and that is as fast as any motor like that can, the other speed option is 1800 rpms.. A higher horsepower motor is used when the pump is bigger because it takes more horses to spin them.

i use 2 compressors of least 4 horsepower or bigger at once, with as many storage tanks as i can bum off other dudes, when i'm using grinding/sanding type tools for long periods of time.. But the power bill is usually huge.

I used to have a Jobsmart 26 gallon air compressor with a 2.5 HP motor. So, I'm coming down to this. My issue is likely the small tank size then, I guess. I'll search for a larger tank first, followed by an eventual pump upgrade.

i have one very similar but bigger. if you pull the head off there are a couple reed valves. mine were corroded and not working properly. i cleaned them up and it works way better. other than that i dont think there is much you can do. mine is probably twice that size and it wont keep up with a grinder either. just look at it as a way to slow down and plan your work :rofl:

I figured it out. One of my little valve plates was broken.

EdiT: Oics

Here's the compressor:

IMG_20131018_145628_zps1df48f34.jpg

It has a campbell hausfeld type oil less pump on it. Here are the valve plates:

IMG_20131018_145618_zps0f40ad0d.jpg

IMG_20131018_145545_zps090d9e0b.jpg

And a thick plate that goes in the middle: IMG_20131018_145528_zps1f18470c.jpg

I believe the intake valve plate is the one that is broken. I did a temporary repair by permatexing some aluminium over the broken piece to flesh it out. It worked up until about 40 psi. Then it at the thin aluminium. I found the valve plate kit for $35 on eBay. That'll fix it.