L16 cam timing, HELP!

qwk_snd

Alright guys, I'm pretty new to the Datsun still yet, so be easy on me...  I bought my car about a year ago with a blown head gasket and I'm just now getting around to fixing it.  I pulled the head and took it to be surfaced.  When I took the head in I just left the cam and all of the valvetrain on the head, because I wasn't sure if it needed to be taken off or not.  Well... It did.  The guy at the machine shop pulled the cam off and now I'm not sure how it goes back together, as far as timing and such.  I've got the 8 position cam sprocket, an aftermarket cam, and an Ed Hale 2.0l port and polished head that has now been surfaced a bit...  Which hole does the cam dowel need to go in?  Can I just put it back together using the factory timing marks, like described in my "How to modify your Datsun" books?  Or is there a special procedure to doing this correctly?  Please, keep your answers simple in terms, since I am new to this stuff.  lol  Thanks guys!

8positioncamshaftsprocket.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hopefully you put the same rocker arm in the same spot that it was removed. Yes you supposed to marke them when removing them. with no rockerarms in there the cam should spin very EZ. Instll all the lash pads and rockers and set then to say .006 intak elash and .008 ex lash then install the next rocker. I usually pu this on a L motor block with the center head bolts ON so I can spin the cam as you put more rockers arms on as it gets harder to turn. But Im sure you have the motor at TDC right now with the chain wedge installed. so you might want ot use that block to set your head up

What is the cam specs. In gereral I would put in in #2 on a stock L20 or a after market cam. But really this cam sprocket is made to be dialed in for the cam and use a degree wheel.

But I would use #2 and should run fine.

Since you taken 1 year to change the head gasket I wont explain on degreeing a cam as that will take another year.

head gasket can be done in 2 -4hrs.

If new say 5 hours.

watch this about 20times as cant make it more simple