Whats wrong!?

qletsinger

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rev up is subjective. Like 7,000 RPM screaming, oil spraying out, rod through the block? Or 1,800- 2,200 RPM? as this is normal on a cold engine with the choke on.

Other than that look down the secondary barrel.. is the throttle plate closed?

Well that's impossible, so look again. The primary and secondary throttle plates are down at the bottom of the carb close to the manifold. The primary is well below the choke plate.

Other than that look down the secondary barrel.. is the throttle plate closed?

One of these is open, Only has to be less that a 1/4" open in neutral to rev to the sky.

2013-09-24213307_zpsd6e5fa34.jpg

It turns out that was it! Thanks for getting back to me so quick, i really appreciate it! It was just barely open and i messed with the throttle linkage and it went right down. I also have another question i will post on here rather than starting a new topic... I had my carb rebuilt and i noticed that the air/fuel screw is just a plug and not adjustable. Can i somehow get it out and put in a screw so i can adjust it? Im running really rich and i hate watching my fuel guage go from full to empty in the blink of an eye!

If you have the flush aluminum plug where the idle mix screw is, (factory) you can drill the plug out and the screw is recessed behind it.

You drill a hole in it at an angle and then use a tool to pry out the plug.  Do NOT just drill in straight.

I think it's even shown in the service manual.

Drill an 1/8" hole and screw a wood screw into the soft aluminum plug and pull out with pliers. These are set at the factory using an O2 sensor and sealed. Can't see how it would change.

Anyway, warm the motor and turn the idle down slightly, if you can, so that changes are more noticeable. Turn mixture screw in and then out looking for a spot where the idle increases and smooths out. Usually about a two turn range with poor idling on either side. Set roughly in the middle and turn the idle down. Repeat by turning in (leaner) until the idle stumbles, then turn out (richer) until it stumbles. Adjust roughly in the middle between these. Again look for the fastest smooth idle and set there. Turn the idle speed down and repeat again as many times as needed until you cannot improve the idle quality. Idle mixture is now set.