Rb20det VS Sr20det VS Stock

lxcongoxl

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost???? almost? I almost had sex with Elizabeth B. in high school. Let me tell you almost is a long was from doin' it.

The L20A will bolt right up. The others will need their own 5 speeds. The 280z transmission wouldn't handle the load anyway.

Yes there is oodles of room to mount these motors in a z car. It already has the high pressure fuel pump. You will need a larger rad (or should think seriously about one) The exhaust probably should be made larger. The rear transmission mount will need to be custom modified and the drive shaft shortened and balanced. Engine mounts likely won't work, and why should they?

The RB20DET is a direct drop in, right after you flip the oil pan, and oil pickup 180 degrees. If you have a 5-speed Trans in your car currently, all you need is the 280zx Automatic transmission mount, and the motor will drop right in.

Better late than never I guess. I've completed an RB20DET swap into my 280zx and I can honestly say that if you really wanna do it, do it. Don't let others decide for you. It's your car, make it what you will.

Aside from that, I love my RB20. I like the fact that I used my 5 speed tranny cross member to mount my 20 trans. I like the fact that I could use my stock drive shaft. Would I do it all over again? Yes. Most definitely. I think I made my car even more "mine", so to speak.

This is what some people had to say about it

Very well then The crossmember needs an automatic rubber mount and the RB 5 speed will fit it. I guess the RB oil pan is symmetrical if you cal turn it 180 and bolt it back on. Can't see how you will do this with th oil pick up tube. Sure he doesn't cut and weld it? What about the motor mounts?

Take note that this is into a 280zx and not a 280z so perhaps the cross member and driveshaft will work on yours.

He doesn't say more about it he says its like swaping a ka24e and a ka24de into a 240sx few things need to be done

The 240sx came with KA24E and DEs.

I have no doubt it can be done. There's tons of room and it's a big car. Give it a shot and post any things that he doesn't mention.

The 240sx came with KA24E and DEs.

I have no doubt it can be done. There's tons of room and it's a big car. Give it a shot and post any things that he doesn't mention.

I know they come in e and de i used to own one and did a few swaps and all i needed was wiring and ecu and little stuff but my main concern that going to try and then all sudden i have to custom fab a lot of things i want someone that has done an rb20det swap to pm and answer some of my questions.

If you cant find anything on forums devoted to swapping stuff into Zs, and you cant find anything in our own Z section... youre going to have a tough time getting people to just give you answers. You may want to either try a new powerplant or just do it yourself, and make a build thread for others that want to follow in your footsteps. 

• 2 weeks later...

You'll never know until you try. Be a pioneer. All the info on the internet about swapping a s13 sr20 into a 510 says that you have to use a top mount manifold or use a more forward mounted bottom mount because it will hit the steering box. I had nothing to lose and gave it a try and my car has been running for 5 months with the OEM bottom mount manifold.

• Like 1