Carb problems......again.

Lowandslow

So I've had a problem with my idle the entire time I've owned my truck.

Its a 1980 720 with the l20b and hithitachi carb.

The problem I'm having right now is warm idle. I have hooked up the electric choke as it was not working before. It is now working and fully opening the choke. The thing is the idle is always at 1500 regardless of choke position.

Also, when I start it for the first time it idles perfectly. After that, once its warm it will not idle at all unless I floor the gas pedal and get it to 3500 rpms for a second and once I do that I will have 1500 rpm idle again. I'm stumped by this and need some help!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fast idle can be one or more of these things...

Fast idle screw improperly adjusted.

Throttle cable adjusted too tight

Fast idle cam on from being badly adjusted or dirty/stuck linkages.

Secondary throttle plate not fully closed.

Worn primary throttle shaft or carb casting. Throttle plate rubs wall and sticks.

BCDD vacuum threshold setting too low.

The fast idle screw sits against the fast idle cam. As long as the cam is in the off position the fast idle screw isn't an issue. Here you can see the set screw (fast idle screw) one a step of the fast idle cam (ivory colored plastic thing) The cam should only be in place when the choke is ON. Normally it drops out of the way as the choke warms up and turns off. Hold throttle part open and just move it back and forth and spray with WD-40 to clean and lube the linkage.
carbZ24fastidleadjustLg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If that carb has a selenoid in it like my California 83 carb, you may be having the same problem I've been going thru.  No power to the selenoid.  You can adjust the idle screw all you want, but it won't help if the selenoid in the carb is not activating.  You have to check the 6 plug wireing into the carb to see if the one firing the selenoid has power to it.   The selenoid can be taking out of the nissan carb and it will idle smooth.  Mine's running great with the selenoid out.  Still working on finding out where I'm missing the power to the selenoid.  Carb exchange in Fontana rebuilt mine and know all about the selenoid problem.  They are great to work with.  Cost me around $220.00 for the carb to be rebuilt by them.  Good luck.

From my experience checking this problem, it is not only in the 6 plug wire, but can be caused by the ECM or other component supplying power to the selenoid.  The wire that supplies the selenoid has to be followed to the source. 

That would be the ECU under the driver's seat. But it reacts to input from throttle position switch on the carb that also goes through this plug. On top of everything there is a 'limp home' default mode if something screws up. The carb automatically goes to an over rich condition until fixed.