Alternator Bracket Screw & Radiator leak

Suntzuzuki

Hi Guys,

The bolt that holds the alternator bracket that screws directly into the block has fallen off. Any idea what I need to replace it with?

1971 521

Also, I have a pinhole leak on the bottom plate of the radiator. Can you guys recommend a good radiator shop in Seattle or nearby?

Thanks!

Nick

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One option is to drill out the alternator bracket bolt holes in the block witha 5/16 drill, and then use a 3/8-16 tap to cut new threads.  Do not drill the hole deeper.  You might have to tap the hole twice, first with a normal tapered tap, then a bottoming tap.

Go to a hardware store, and get two Allen socket cap screws, and the Allen wrench to fit, 3/8-16 by about 1 inch long, with hardened SAE 3/8 flat washers.  Use those to attach the lower alternator bracket to the block.

Later L-engines used M10-1.5 bolts to hold the lower alternator bracket.  The L-16 used M8-1.25 bolts to hold the bracket.  If you are a purist, you could get metric taps, and use the M10-1.5 bolts

I know a good radiator shop down here, In Oregon City, Superior Radiator, but you are in Seattle.