SD22 Diesel Engine

jim6216025

Hi everyone, I bought a 1981 sd22 engine and have it in my garage. I want to start it but not sure how to hook up all the fuel lines from the filter assy. If one of you guys have a running sd22 can you post or email me some pics of all the fuel supply and return lines...it would be a huge help..thanks. :thumbup: Email...jim6216025@yahoo.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, I bought a 1981 sd22 engine and have it in my garage. I want to start it but not sure how to hook up all the fuel lines from the filter assy. If one of you guys have a running sd22 can you post or email me some pics of all the fuel supply and return lines...it would be a huge help..thanks. :thumbup: Email...jim6216025@yahoo.com

What exactly are you trying to do? Start in to see if it runs?

To start a SD25 diesel engine I picked up, i just ran a line from the fuel pump on the side of the injection pump to a gas can filled with diesel with a filter in the middle, and then I ran the return line back into the gas can, I ran an engine for 30 minutes this way on a engine stand with a radiator connected later on, the primer will fill the fuel filter and pump as long as the engine controller is disconnected from the injection pump, if the injection pump is in off mode, the fuel is cut off, and you will not be able to prime anything on a US model SD22 engines.

Remember that you must warm up the glow plugs also, 30 seconds with 12 volts works fine, sometimes it takes a few tries before it starts if it has sat a long time.

Id say not even 30 seconds on the glow plugs, go to long and you'll burn them out. 8-12 seconds.

My glow plug timer supplies 12 volts to my glow plugs for a minute or so in the winter, i have connected a volt meter to them to find out, after it has warmed up though, they only have 12V for a few seconds.

I bought a set of glow plugs from Baxters once, they worked great the first time, but that was the last time they worked also, the ends of them expanded like a balloon, I has to use vice grips to get them out of the holes they were in, I have never had that happen since, I think they sold me the wrong type.