1981 4x4 opinions

K_trip

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I run an '81 as my wheeler. Heavily modified, but still running the stock-ish motor and tranny. 183k+ and still going. I started off with a set of 33x14 boggers, cranked torsion bars, and some fender trimming. T-case and rear axle held up great. Front end, not so much. SAS and 36" iroks killed the t-case. I'm running a divorced np205 now...

If you are looking for a dirt road/light trail truck then throw a set of 31x10.50's at it and enjoy an awesome lil rig! If you are looking for something a lil more hardcore, better sharpen up your fabrication skills! I've loved my lil rig since I got it and it was bone stock!

I had an 81 2x4 king cab and it was a great truck.  From the way i drove it i had ball joint problems.  But never a problem from the any of the running gear.  Loved it.  Then i got a regular cab with the 2.4 and could never get the mpg or power that i got out of the 2.2 in the 81 truck.  I knew the son of the original owner of the 81 and all that was done to it was a weber 32/36.  I now have and 84 regular cab 4x4.  And have a lack of power with the 2.4 and again wish i had the motor from my 81.  And my 4x4 has the carb i kept of the 81.  These trucks are known for rust and all i have had leaked rain from somewhere up under the passenger side of the dash.  There is next to no aftermarket for these trucks and unless swapping out to other parts no lower gears or nothing.  But if you want a fun little more than stock play toy this could be it.  Got mine for 400 and got about anothr 400 in it.  rides on 32's with z-71 wheels and 5th gear makes a bad roar most likely from the common bearing problems in these trucks (know three other owners with the same issue) but is useless with such tall tires anyway.  Most have auto locking hubs but i got lucky and mine has manual locking hubs not that i know of any problem with either.

• Like 1

For a light wheeler/occasional driver it'd be perfect. Very tight turning, peppy lil rig. Great for tight lil trails. Next to nothing for suspension travel though. I use to get crossed up often and have to winch myself just a couple feet to get traction again. Front axle parts are getting harder to come by. I couldn't even find a place that had CV shafts on the shelf. '83 and newer sure, but not for the'80-'82. So be nice to that front end!

Steering parts are readily available. Only thing I had a hard time getting my hands on is CV shafts. Rockauto.com has been a life saver on a few occasions. Ebay too.

Not sure about the hubs. Pretty sure they are different as well. The hubs were the only thing I never broke though. Exploded half a dozen CV's and two front diffs before I finally cut out the IFS. I was also trying to keep up with guys that had very well built rigs....