720/D21 Mash-Up Project

Bill_P

So Im going to strip the truck down to bare frame with the steering and front end still assembled. The z24 is outta here, and so is the automatic. Gives me a clean slate for a sweet build. I can put the 720 body and possibly motor and tranny in easily, and I can replace the rear end, brake system and rear end virtually for free.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The truck is getting OR registration next week. All they require is a $7 safety inspection (horn, windshield, tires, brakes, and basic visual inspection to make sure the yard gnome wont fly off of your hood). Then its $77 same as Cali for commercial registration (all trucks without camper shells are considered commercial in CA).

I am also going to get the Oregon Wine Country plates. Im an agriculture guy, so I like those plates. $54 for those.

The red 720 is pretty cool. I can't get over how useful those hooks on the bed are and the fact that you can use a ratchet strap anywhere along the top of the bed (just tighten the straps AFTER closing the tailgate).

There is already a diesel motor for the 720, it's not turbo though.

The valance lights are pretty cheap even for new ones. I still melted my new lens and housing on a recent drive from Tucson to NW Arkansas and now have to stick my arm out the window to signal left turns again. Hopefully some new pipes and bending at a local redneck muffler shop fixed that. Those guys are awesome.

You mentioned that you studied geology. The AGU meetings are in San Francisco. Do you go to those?