New Datsun owner - 1976 620 "Project Clementine" (lowered, page 2)

PDX Matt

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided to go with 3" lowering blocks. Took a few hours to do everything but I'm glad I did it on my own (with help from DIY's also).

Still not sure what I think about it. I'm hoping that with matching rear wheels and some paint (white is the plan) that it will come together a little more.

4dwp.jpg

kizx.jpg

ubu2.jpg

w2hk.jpg

45lk.jpg

sucp.jpg

t83x.jpg

ynsf.jpg

mpyp.jpg

• Like 3

So just a small update. On Monday I made a 450 mile round trip to collect some parts from flatcat (Keith). The truck made it and back with no issues, but Eagle_Adam hit the nail on the head about the synthetic oil. There was some oil seeping out somewhere from the front of the motor.

I changed the oil to conventional Mobil Super 10W-40 High Mileage when I got back. It's good to go now. 

Also put on the new doors that I received from Keith and I need to do a few more small things to prep for Plastidip.

Some updates, installed newer headlights last night then fixed my license plate light earlier today. Now I'm night legal. 

Trying to fix my windshield wipers but having a hard time getting the rusty bolts out from the body panel above. Going to take off the hood and see if that helps me get better access.

Ordered a bunch of replacement parts that I'll be putting in this weekend. Also picking up new wheels at the end of the week.

Speaking of which, what are some good tire options for 16" wheels that will still give me a little comfort on a lowered truck? Also staying close to the speedo ratio would be a plus. Gotta get the wheel specs but I believe they are 16x7 or 16x8.

EDIT: After some searching, I'll probably be going with 225/50/16 but if anyone has any input it'd be appreciated

Getting some stuff done before Blue Lake tomorrow. I was having issues periodically with the gas pedal becoming stiff. It got better with some WD-40 in the cable chamber but quickly got stiff again. I went ahead and put in a new cable that I got from my RockAuto order a few weeks ago and it's like butter now. Lubed all the pedal components and throttle linkage on the Weber and it's good to go! My hood bumpers also arrived today so no more vibrating hood!

Also heading over to Eagle_Adam's place later to replace the drum brakes. 

• Like 1

Hey bub, I sent you a PM.

I ended up doing a fix myself which worked out very well. I went to Autozone and bought a "coil spring booster," then trimmed out the rubber to size to fit between the rubber cushion "hoop" and the bearing. I cut it to just the right size so that it was a tight fit between the hoop and bearing. Hollowed it from the inside out so that it would fit snuggly with the hoop. It doesn't budge at all and I imagine this rubber is much more durable than the rubber used in the replacement parts. 

egpr.jpg

xk8n.jpg

I did this from under the truck and used a razor blade to trim all the destroyed rubber from the hoop. 

props to you my man!

i always looked at that thing and thought "that looks very much like a carrier bearing insulator" and it is awesome to see that you can and that you DID. props props props! :)

• Like 1