Armrest replacement

So like most Datsuns, my armrests were starting to pull a part and hang from the doors.  I thought I'd try the universal set that datsun-kentigo sells on eBay.  For $20 what the hell, right?

In case someone else has thought about this, here is what they look like in the 510.

In order to get the "right" look, I taped off and painted the stripe with Chrome spray paint (that's what I had on hand, we'll see how it holds up).

The holes do line up to the original 510 holes.  It's definitely a different shape, but it's clean, and intact (not about to fall off the door). 

Here's some pics, you can decide if you like them or not.

....Oh yeah, FYI, if you use strong masking tape, becareful when removing it.  It will pull the outer coating off the foam....  :hmm:

018-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

022-1.jpg[/url

]024-1.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SEM Color Coat vinyl paint, make sure its the right color, cause once you spray it on it dyes the plastic/rubber/vinyl/leather/olyphan, whatever, and it is NOT coming off. this stuff is a MIRACLE. it is almost impossible to overspray.

and no, it wont wear off on your arms and turn them the color of the paint/dye, it is fully flexible.

They dont look bad... I wonder if he has other colors. It would be nice to have a cream set to go with my panels. I feel like Ive ordered something from that guy before. Investigating.

Yes he does have other colors, I don't remember all of them, but I do remember brown, and blue.  I too have used the SEM vinyl paint with success.  Actually all the SEM products that I have used have been great!  I love the SEM Bumper Coater.  Turns those 80's black mirrors and faded rubber bumpers into the perfect "new" color....  The color lasted as long as I had the vehicles.

• Like 2

Got a link to the arm rest? Can't find them with a basic search...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/set-Two-Armrests-DATSUN-Truck-Sentra-/370838551201?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5657b33aa1

I did order something from that seller. I bought some reproduction taillight lenses when I first got the car a few years ago. 

Got a link to the arm rest? Can't find them with a basic search...

Sorry, I thought it would be easier to find them, and I figured in a month or so the link would be dead anyways.

Thanks Tristin for posting the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/set-Two-Armrests-DATSUN-Truck-Sentra-/370838551201?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5657b33aa1

I did order something from that seller. I bought some reproduction taillight lenses when I first got the car a few years ago. 

I ordered a New set of tail light lenses from kentigo (Good quality, but a couple differences from the originals, so I gave them to a buddy).  I also ordered some engine mounts from them...  A chunk of rubber was missing, still should work fine though.  I think there were a few other things like replacement master cylinder reservoir, and....  Anyways, I haven't been totally satisfied, but I keep shopping with them.  The armrests look to be good though.

I ordered a New set of tail light lenses from kentigo (Good quality, but a couple differences from the originals, so I gave them to a buddy).  I also ordered some engine mounts from them...  A chunk of rubber was missing, still should work fine though.  I think there were a few other things like replacement master cylinder reservoir, and....  Anyways, I haven't been totally satisfied, but I keep shopping with them.  The armrests look to be good though.

Yeah, you could tell the lenses were fake, but they were quality. Since I was so knew I really didnt care and just wanted to replace the cracked lenses I had. Held up nice though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've go to report, I highly don't recommend using chrome spray paint on the armrest.  It did not adhere, and it smudged everywhere.  I should have remembered that from the car models I used to build growing up.  I took the paint off with some DX330.  They are back to black right now, but back to the drawing board on what will work to get a chrome stripe down the side.