720 2wd lift

lanechurch920

HI i have a 85 2wd 720 really wanting to lift it to be different everyone slams. first off dont know anything about ifs so bare with me,Can i crank the torsion bars up if so how much lift can I get out of it? Does anyone sale a torsion key or some sort of lift kit? Well if anyone has some input on lifting it let me know thank you

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

are you looking to keep it 2wd or eventually go 4x4?. there isnt a whole lot of lift to be had out of 2wd ifs or even ifs in general. and are you looking to wheel it or do you just want the look of a lifted truck?

I lifted my 1980 720 with a body lift kit and taller tires and it looked pretty good.. used 15" wheels of a Toyota 4x4 and had rather skinny snow/mud tires ,, the advantage i saw was all the steering angles were stock so no wierd tire wear. And all the work could be done with a set of wrenches and a floor jack.... It was back in the middle to late 80s so don`t have any pictures at all,, but with a 3" body and the tires giving at least another 2 1/2"  it was higher than most..

I installed a kit like these,,, strange thing is i am almost positive i paid well over $250. in the 80s for mine,,,,,  internet has lowered teh prices i guess.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/3-Inch-Body-Lift.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=20&t_pt=3680&t_pn=per4033&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gclid=CJ3kiJvpjbgCFW1yQgod_RQAzQ

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pra-4033/overview/make/nissan/model/720

I loved that piece of junk ,,, i should have kept it.

Four inch body lift is close to noticeable. I mean you don't want a foot of daylight between body and frame mounts, right? Turn the torsion bars to lift 1 to 2 inches.. note that any height change will affect both camber and toe. You can adjust toe easily and camber you can add shims to get the rim vertical. For the rear springs have them re-arched by a spring shop.

Taller tires work. For every 2" of increased tire diameter the truck sits one inch higher. This will affect acceleration and throw the speedo out.

84SAS I'm looking to keep it 2wd kinda a prerunner look.Ive been going to the dunes lately and thought it would be cool to get a set of like 31s under her and get out on the beach nothing too radical.

bananahamuck

Thanks for the links I was acutely thinking of doing a 3" body lift Only thing i'm wanting is a little lean towards the rear. I'd be ok with a body lift but is there anyway I can crank the tbars up a little for a little lean or are they all the way up stock

84SAS I'm looking to keep it 2wd kinda a prerunner look.Ive been going to the dunes lately and thought it would be cool to get a set of like 31s under her and get out on the beach nothing too radical.

bananahamuck

Thanks for the links I was acutely thinking of doing a 3" body lift Only thing i'm wanting is a little lean towards the rear. I'd be ok with a body lift but is there anyway I can crank the tbars up a little for a little lean or are they all the way up stock

im not sure about 2wd 720s front suspension but if your goin for a prerunner kinda thing. i would imagine you could crank your torsion bars  and trim a little bit to clear the front. you would probably want to invest in a set of steel wheels with some backspacing to help clearance. and for the back you could trim your wheel wells a bit. not sure if you could really get that pre runner lean without  lifting the front ALOT or lowering the rear. this is pretty much what my brother and i did with a 2wd hardbody a couple years ago, it was a beast in the sand it had 30x9.50x15s mud tires in the back and all terrains up front it was awesome until it started rusting out bad and i pulled the KA for my 720 swap

29" tires is the max you can go without rub and that's on a 4x4.... 2wd might be a lot less. Body lift will help but will still scrub the frame on turns.

not quite sure about this i had 30x9.50s on my stock 4x4 and there was no rubbing however i couldnt tell you because the rims werent stock rims so if thats what you mean then you are probably right